Cayuga north end

Got out Saturday night maybe from 6-8:30 with my brother and a friend of ours.  Put the new guy on some fish.  We fished the college first then trolled over to the silos.  The wind died and it turned into a nice night.  Did decent numbers, nothing to get out the tape measure.  No weeds, debris, or fleas.  Fished mostly 100-150 fow, mixed the speed up from 2.2-3.0.  DR's down 100, 75, and 50.  Ran a slider at times.  Ran divers at 200, and 185, tried 100, and 75 for a bit with no luck.  Two fish on a diver out 200 on a wonder bread spoon.  Took maybe a half dozen LT on the DRs down 100 and 75, dreamweaver NBK spoon.  Still couldn't seem to get into anything silver.

After almost dropping my iphone in the water at least 2-3 times already this year I decided I needed a better system for taking pictures.  Not sure how to work it yet...  but it takes better pictures than I do, and it floats.

Edited by slouiscar

Nice job on the video and I think the guy in the hoodie should have been drinking coffee as he was asleep at the switch on that fish :lol: Where/how did you mount the Go Pro....I'm still evaluating places and angles. Looks as though you have it worked out well.

Edited by Sk8man

Hit silos early Monday morning with shallow program. 2 color lead and stick bait did best but good action including double with two hefty lakers. Never thought it would still be mixed bag in shallow still!

23 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Nice job on the video and I think the guy in the hoodie should have been drinking coffee as he was asleep at the switch on that fish :lol: Where/how did you mount the Go Pro....I'm still evaluating places and angles. Looks as though you have it worked out well.

It was maybe the second time out for our friend in the hoodie.  He was no rookie on the Yuengling's though.

I mounted the camera on the bimini support with a tube mount.  It is not the ideal location but with the wide lens it wasn't too bad.  I am going to look for a mounting option that lets me adjust the angel a bit so I don't have to tilt my head sideways when I watch videos going forward.

Look at the options for mounts. I have 3 gopro's. I use the broom or paint stick mount. Gets it high up and I can quickly grab it from a rod holder and dip the camera in the water to get an underwater shot. Also, clamp one on a downrigger boom to get the action towards the cockpit. Works great.

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

:lol: Thanks guys I have a bunch of different mounting gadgets including the paint stick one. Question I have is how do you know whether it is focused on the right area when it is up there as I can't get up that high in my baot without a ladder?

Edited by Sk8man

I downloaded the GoPro Capture app for my phone.  It connects your phone to the camera using bluetooth/wifi.  With that app you can view the feed live on your phone to see what the camera sees and then you can make adjustments as needed.  It also lets you use your phone to control the camera, take pictures/video, or view media on the fly.

Fished Friday night and Sat morning solo.  Did well with LT same depth, speed, spoons as previous trips.  Added a Michigan Stinger wonder bread spoon to the spread and that seemed to get a regular bite as well.  No fleas, but starting to see some weeds.  Smaller fish in general but still a good number of hits, a few more short strikes, or false releases.  Did manage a decent salmon down 60 over 80.  Fished shallow Sat morning and picked up a few LT.  Had a fish shake loose shortly after getting tight down 40 over 60 that felt like it had quite a bit more fight than the LT I've had on.  Would have liked to have seen what that was.  I will start shallow again next week in the AM to see if I can figure out how to get more silver on.

Unfortunately, it was an expensive Friday.  Bumped my downrigger to pick up maybe a foot or two of slack at the boat to hook up a line and the cable snapped.  Seriously.  How does a cable just snap?  Of course that was the DR with the Fish Hawk probe.  Swallowed hard and ordered a new probe.  Just to vent.  It is 2017.  I have a $15 gps locator that fits in my wallet and connects to an app on my phone.  FishHawk can't design a fricking probe that cost less than $300?  I have to assume they know it is attached to 12-pounds of lead and dangled over 150 feet of water right?  Someone with some time on their hands should come up with a $50 sensor that can send a signal a few hundred feet and put them out of business.  Anyway, I will have to do a pretty close inspection before I hook that back up.  I may do new terminals and the like if anyone has any advice.

Anyway, this happened early in the trip so I set up with a new terminal end on that DR and dropped it again.  I made the one time mistake of trying to run two different weights.  One 12-pound shark and one 10-pound ball.  That didn't end well.  They crossed briefly on a retrieve and I quickly swapped out the shark for the ball.  What do people generally run on the finger lakes?  I liked the 12-pound sharks since they tracked well and had less blow back but after putting the 10-pounders back on I wondered if the bigger sharks were overkill and too much stress on my cables.  Obviously, I would prefer not to randomly break off $400.

sorry about the lost probe . i run 12 lb weights both side . maybe your cable had a kink in it . i am always looking that in my cables , if any cut it off and start new . about every two year i change out the cable on the probe rigger . as they get old they get weak .. 

The silvers  are all coming up top for me.  Nothing below 25 foot.  Even out over 250 fow.  You wont mark them, they are there!  50 ft back off the riggers, medium diving cranks of the flat lines.  Alwifes are in spawning now.  Just saw the first batch on sat morning off my dock.