Cayuga deep water jigging experts.

Cayuga deep water jigging experts.

I need some gear recommendations for jigging big Lakers from 100 to 160 fow.  Any of you pros willing to help me out?

Looking for spinning rod and jig recommendations for fishing that deep. Under water currents involved as well. I'm guessing jig weights in the 1 to 1 1/2 oz range and to answer a couple of questions.

PM if you prefer. 

Thanks

Glen

Edited by spoonfed-1

Not an expert but I have caught some jigging on Keuka over several years. My favorite setup is a fairly stiff rod paired with a level-wind baitcasting reel. It gives you a very smooth drop, and you can lightly thumb the spool as the jig is falling and feel if it gets hit on the way down. Like most people, I have it spooled with braid - lighter is better IMO, gives a faster drop and less drag in currents etc.. I think I have 8 or 10 lb on it. Then a rod length or two of mono for a leader, joined to the braid with a double uni knot. I use mainly 1 and 1.5 oz jigs with plastics, though I do have a few lighter ones (bucktails) for those rare days when its really still and you can get one to sink to 100'+ without drifting too far. The other key piece of gear you want is a decent fishfinder so you can watch your jig!

Hi Glenn,

I learned deep-water laker jigging from John Gaulke quite a few years ago. He operates Finger Lakes Angling Zone, and jigs for a majority of his trips. I know folks who have called him with questions.

His link is : http://fingerlakesanglingzone.com/default.asp

On John's page is a link to a fellow who makes 1 and 1 1/2 ounce jig heads. I use them and have good luck with them.

http://billysmtolures.com/

For lures, I usually start with white plastic, but like any fishing, the fish prefer different bait on different days.

I use a level wind reel with superbraid and a 10' floro leader. I use a firm 6' 6"  rod.  

If you have a bow mount trolling motor with the 'anchor' feature, that can be a big help once you find the fish. Also drift bags, or trolling bags to slow the boat can be your friend . A vertical presentation of the bait usually works well. If you have a decent sonar, sometimes its possible to see the fish following your bait.

Good luck,

Rusty

Hey thanks for the advice guys. Nobody jigging that deep with spinning rods? How do you avoid the zebra mussels? Bury the hook point in the plastics? What about jigging spoons and mussels?

0707150332.jpg
Here's some of my favorite combos, 1oz jigs from the site mentioned above . Rod set up that I like is a 7ft med light action spin rod spooled with 12# power pro with a 6-10' mono leader of 8-10 # .. thump the bottem often and if that doesn't work, another great method is drop it all the way to the bottom jig once or twice then reel up at a quick speed and once you hit mid depth slow your reel speed in half and wait for the hit! If nothing them repeat .

Sent from my SM-G935U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Bait needle, by no means is it quick or easy , but it's very effective when they are short striking. Tie a snell knot on the trailer hook leaving about 8-10 in. Of line , thread line through plastic snugging hook tight into plastic, even about a half inch more than where you want it to be, then tie a clinch knot looping line through twice for extra strength through the eye of the jig, snip tag, and pull the half in of slack back but leaving the snell knot in the plastic .

Sent from my SM-G935U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lately I've been favoring a 3-4000 size spinning reel with 10# power pro to a barrel swivel with a 18" 30# fluoro leader to a snap.  Only reason I use leader is due to the amount Lakers roll when fighting. When you're jigging it's a reaction bite and there's no need to worry about fish seeing the line. Heavy, stiff leader reduces the chance of your hooks getting tangled in your leader. 

As for jigs I use bass pro xps freestyle jigs as they sink like a rock which is crucial when you're hunting down active fish and you need to drop right down on them. 

95% of the time, an agressive pump jig is what I get the most strikes on.

http://m.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Freestyle-Jig/product/90542/

IMG_20161003_182021236_HDR.jpg