Walleye in fingerlakes

So some may have heard that a walleye was caught, photographed and released on Skaneateles. 14 to 15 in. Article in the paper . Anyway, how many of you fish Skaneateles, how many have caught a walleye there. How long have people been catching them. The state said it never released them and there is no access to allow natural entry. Some have said they catch them all the time. I'm there at least weekly, never seen one. Any of you?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you want walleye in Finger lakes try trolling Conesus. I don't target them but have caught a number of them from 24" to 28" over the years fishing for Essex.

Believe it or not, a friend of mine caught and released a walleye at the south end a week before the opener this year on a fathead while perch fishing. I saw the photo myself, they didn't weigh or measure but looked to be around 5-6 lbs. I was amazed!

I have heard of a couple getting caught there over the past years, never have seen one myself.

I've heard of them caught there as well but not by anyone I'd trust. I saw a 28" rainbow come out of Otisco and they aren't stocked in Otisco so anything is possible.

Fisherdude,
Why would we want two lakes filled with skinny small walleye? Lol...it would be nice to get eyes in all the fingers though.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

12 minutes ago, justtracytrolling said:

I've heard of them caught there as well but not by anyone I'd trust. I saw a 28" rainbow come out of Otisco and they aren't stocked in Otisco so anything is possible.

Fisherdude,
Why would we want two lakes filled with skinny small walleye? Lol...it would be nice to get eyes in all the fingers though.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

cause they filet out to be the best eating fish in NYS and seneca in real close to me lol..

I haven't seen pictures of any in awhile but I have seen pics of them caught in Cayuga tribs in the spring in the past.  I have never seen any pics of any caught on the lake.  I am all for walleye in every body of water across NYS.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BSmaster said:

I haven't seen pictures of any in awhile but I have seen pics of them caught in Cayuga tribs in the spring in the past.  I have never seen any pics of any caught on the lake.  I am all for walleye in every body of water across NYS.

I would be okay with that!

Just now, justtracytrolling said:

Seneca wouldn't produce skinny walleye anyway...they would be footballs...27 inch 10  pounders...sign me up!!!!

Seneca, Keuka they would all be fine candidates for a stocking program. I would love to see walleye in Seneca being it's only 10 minutes from my house!

Maybe we need to start the efforts, Just kidding but seriously that would be awesome!

I saw a lot of dead sawbellies floating in Seneca during the NLTD.  Is it possible that they we're just sawbellies that were hit by trout/salmon?  It did seem like there were maybe too many dead for that to be the case, but not sure.  Maybe something of greater concern killing them.

Not really a comparison. Not even close. Seneca's bait supply is huge. Plus its much deeper and longer... Walleye eat perch and thud perch population seems to be down... Rather not risk damaging the perch population that already seems to be on a hurt. Plus they stock Pike in Seneca if I remember right

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, FishingTheFL said:

Not really a comparison. Not even close. Seneca's bait supply is huge. Plus its much deeper and longer... Walleye eat perch and thud perch population seems to be down... Rather not risk damaging the perch population that already seems to be on a hurt. Plus they stock Pike in Seneca if I remember right

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

They also eat alewives, gobies, and saw bellies. Also have caught walleyes with bluegill and sun fish in their bellies. Pike? really? why would they do that compared to walleye?

Edited by Chas0218