fishing laws

fishing laws

I always spend several weeks on the SLR bass fishing each summer. Every year there seams to be one "Land Owner" that runs out of his house and tries to tell us that it is illegal to fish around his dock. He says that it is a law that you have to be so many feet from docks while fishing. While I feel bad for this guy because he says that people always get hooks in his boat cover and ropes, is there any laws in writing about this in NY?

The home owner is actually breaking the law not you. Harassment of anglers from shore will get you ticketed. The only scenario where you can't fish docks is if a marina is created by excavation then that marina can be closed to public fishing if the marina owner so chooses.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

Justin, Good info on the Marina - I never heard that before.

If I am fishing near the docks I always look ahead for any fishing poles.  Sometimes cottage owners set their lines and then leave the dock.  They are not legal in doing so but I still want to make sure I am not infringing on their space.  No sense in stirring the pot if you don't have to.  Plenty of lake.

It is not always about being right or wrong but being neighborly.  There  are some outliers but for the most part mutual respect will win out everytime.

That's funny, our cottage is right next to a State Park campground and the shoreline is usually pounded by people fishing. Not many people catch fish there because of the amount of fishing pressure. If I see guys out there I will usually walk to the end of the dock and see how they are doing and offer some advice. Funny how people think they own the water in front of their cottage. Realistically they put docks in the water where they don't own. In NY you own from the high water mark inland.