Food plot time

I just planted myself a small plot on Monday already sprouting. Mowed it down then dragged it twice planted then dragged again. I don't think I needed to drag it the last time. I got the mix from tractor supply, has mostly wheat and oats but has some other good stuff. Attached is the tag.

What do you gigs think worth the $15 I paid for half acre worth? 20170621_215857.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just planted myself a small plot on Monday already sprouting. Mowed it down then dragged it twice planted then dragged again. I don't think I needed to drag it the last time. I got the mix from tractor supply, has mostly wheat and oats but has some other good stuff. Attached is the tag.

What do you gigs think worth the $15 I paid for half acre worth? 20170621_215857.thumb.jpg.4e85191f0b0e9344c0cd3283c3b17a9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Winter peas and winter wheat / cereal grains have better results when planted late August early September

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok guys...... I have a ? regarding my clover / chicory plots. They were mowed once in the spring but had alot of weeds mixed in. Decided since I was so busy from then till now to let it go and see what it would do. Checked them out last night and there is alot of big nice lush clover in the plots but ALOT of weeds. My question is, is it better to just try and mow it again to try and knock out some of the weeds or spray clethdine, which is from what I have read kills broad leaf weeds and grasses but won't hurt clover or chicory. I'm used to starting from square one, instead of bringing a plot back from the over populated weeds.

That's the thing, I'd rather try and get a few years out of the clover since it's only 1yrs old. I'd rather try and save it instead of starting from scratch. That's ALOT of time and $$ to restart. These are some pretty decent size plots and with the amount of clover in them, there has to be a way to save them

20170803_171527.jpg20170803_185709.jpg20170803_184009.jpg20170803_171533.jpg

Some plots are worse then others for sure! Yet there is hope since there is a good stand of clover and chicory in all of them. I got soaked last night mowing all the plots but was planned perfectly with the rain we are getting. Putting my order to Rural King for Clethodin and Crop Oil tonight to spray the unwanted grasses in a week or two when everything starts to grow again. Fingers are crossed!!

I would hit it with WTI arrest. Wait 2 weeks then mow just the top just to kill the annual then hit it with some 0-20-20 (never nitrogen on clover)

I have been in this situation and have made costly mistakes. Like mowing it low in August and getting a week long dry heat wave the clover never recovers. 

2nd would be just trying to bring it back with a heavy dose of 10-10-10 the grass will triple and your clover be severely choked out within a few weeks .

If you can't mow high then just spay and leave it.

That's the plan, arrest and what I'm getting do the same thing, only difference is a pint of arrest is $40 and a gallon of Clethodin is $46, and I'd need a minimum of 2 -3 pints to hit everything.