Fillet fish on the boat

I though so to and reading about all these guys filleting and packing on the boat I thought it was legal. Here is what DEC says. "Illegal to possess walleye black bass brook trout lake trout or Atlantic salmon that have been cut dismembered filleted skinned or otherwise altered so that the species and total length cannot be easily determined

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I spoke with an officer once, and I believe it's how they interpret the law sometimes. I was told it was okay. As long as i leave the skin on for id, and save the remains for proper length of fish to prove it was a legal length. Again, I believe it's about interpretation for the individuals. I could and have been wrong before.

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

It would seem that if you leave the skin on and the fish is considerably over the minimum length when you fillet it leaving the fillet to be larger than the minimum length you shouldbe OK. You can't dispose of the rest of the carcass or entrails anywhere near or on shoreline though. I think the main concern is to be able to identify the species and that it meets the minimum length requirement.

That sounds extremely logical to me and it seems the right answer I'll keep the carcasses proof and vacuum seal the rest thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United