Sodus Vs Hughes

I have launched out of both Sodus and Hughes this spring and Both are usable, Hughes was excellent and the Rt 14 launch is fine and free.

I have seen fewer boats fishing than in past years and the high water is a challenge. We will Launch out of Hughes this Saturday and hope to see more folks out on the lake. I do monitor 16 and radio traffic has been very light too. Hope to see some boats out this week end. The boat is "LOW PROFILE"  Good fishing !  Go hook em up !  

Dr W    

16 is the hailing channel it is also the emergency channel you call on 16 than switch to talk. If you have a radio law states you have to monitor 16 but in reality it's good practice because that's where a call for help will come from and if you need to make one in a hurry you don't have to think about changing channels that's why most radios have a button to go right to 16

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

13 hours ago, marinerak87 said:

Isn't 16 the coast guard channel? I was up there talking to my buddies boat and they told us to use another station

Sent from my LGL82VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Channel 16 is for hailing and distress!  not a working channel ! 

I monitor 16 because it is a Hailing and distress channel

I am USCG.AUX

Dr W

12 hours ago, ifishy said:

16 is the hailing channel it is also the emergency channel you call on 16 than switch to talk. If you have a radio law states you have to monitor 16 but in reality it's good practice because that's where a call for help will come from and if you need to make one in a hurry you don't have to think about changing channels that's why most radios have a button to go right to 16

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Correct and many new radios have an automatic locator system built in but you need to wire your GPS into the radio which I would urge everyone to do !  then in a "REAL EMERGENCY" you lift the red tab and push the button and the radio transmits your location !  and a MAYDAY.

Dr W