Fly rod bluegills

Kevin J Legg

Cool Kevin...I used to fish the smallies that way on Seneca and Canandaigua Outlet heck of a lot of fun. The green frog popper with black spots was irresistible to them:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

When I was a kid we would take a piece of mister twister and cast with the fly rod from one dock to the neighboring dock.  It always amazed me how many big gills were under them.  If you threw a worm over there with a float you would get nothing but small ones.

Doesn't matter, they are all great..  I love fishing for big sunnies, great fighters, and the only  better eating fish in fresh water is a perch...
 I  used to catch tons of huge sunnies in cayuga lake with a little ultra lite, and a tiny jig with a bit of worm, or just a small  baited hook and  bobber the size of a grape.. Now with the advent of gobies, i haven't caught sunfish in cayuga in several years.. some guys might know where they are, but at the south end of the lake, i haven't caught a sunny or rock bass in years... So sad... btw, I have seen bluegills that have pumpkinseed markings as well.. i think they interbreed at times.. bob

• 4 weeks later...

I've said it before. Panfishing with a flyrod and poppers for them amongst lily pads is the best! :) What works even better are small sponge or foam rubber ants with rubber band legs. And you can always get nice large mouths in with them. Mendon Ponds are a personal fav. We once nailed what was a school of smallies  at the south end of Canandaigua in the pads there with the normal gills and largemouths. What a blast that was! And as far as flavor is concerned. I'll say sunnies (not their kissing cousins crappies and rockies) are sweeter in flavor than the nearly perfect perch, though the flesh seems somewhat more delicate than perch. They are all good. Often late at night or very early in the morning well before sunup in the summer (calm weather) the sunnies will be surface feeding on emergent bugs in the middle of open water away from any pads, and any small to tiny topwater offering, blind cast in the open to no place in special will murder them. :yes: