Need Help with Planer Board Setup

Need Help with Planer Board Setup

I'm looking for some type of planer board system that I can mount to my vertical grab rails supporting my roof, or the grab rails on the roof itself.  Does anybody have any ideas of how I can get a planer board setup going on my hardtop without having to in stall a mast / masts?

I'm looking to pull some Aurora Lite planer boards

GXebo6N.jpg

Edited by jigstick

I like the roof idea better because I have rod holders on my vertical supports, and don't really want to take those off (I don't have a rocket launcher).

TileManDan:

So I could mount the spool to the stern end of the roof rail, and the pulley to the bow end?  Who makes the "rail adapters" to mount them?

It looks like Cisco makes grab handle mounted reels and pulleys.  Im looking at $680 for those, and that's without the line and boards.  I love their stuff, but do I have any other options?

Edited by jigstick

Here's how I set up my Penn Yan.  Originally had BJ pulleys up front but had problems with the line getting caught between the pulley and the side plates.  The Cisco pulley is recessed into the side plates so that can't happen, works great. 

IMG_0492.thumb.JPG.0fc53b11707bc92c6bf89387a5236e39.JPG

• 1 month later...

That is kind of what I'm trying to do.  Except Im thinking of mounting my reel and pulley both on the roof grab rail.  Pulley towards the bow, reel towards the stern.

Just how hard to these big boards pull?  Im looking at the Aurora Lites or Amish Outfitters composite collapsable boards.  Im guessing if my grab handle can withstand me hanging from it that it should be strong enough to pull the boards and 6 copper rods?

Those boards pull extremely hard, but if your grab rails are solid they should be able to handle it. Make sure you get a board snubber. I've also seen guys add springs to their pulleys to absorb some of the strain.

6 copper rods ? You are a braver man than I

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United