Downrigger has a little issue

So I went out this morning to find my manual cannon downrigger just makes a clicking noise when you try to reel it up and of course it doesn't reel up. Any ideas?? This pretty much happened without warning. Not afraid to have someone look at it before I leave for a fishing trip next Thursday and pay What ever you gotta have.

Sent from my VS810PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Mine did that once.  The handle was stripped out so that It couldn't put pressure on the clutch pads.  Kind of a known issue with the newer style handles Cannon has been putting on their riggers.  I called customer service and they mailed me replacement "new style" handles, as well as 2 of the older style at no charge.

You have to be careful when you crank the handles down.  You only need enough pressure to keep the spool from free spinning.  My buddy would crank the handles down so hard that if we would of got snagged the rigger would have got torn off the boat.  By avoiding excessive pressure you won't strip out the handles like that, and also allow the clutch to work properly if you get snagged.

This could be your problem....or not.  I would check it out though.

Edited by jigstick

Im in Pittsburgh at the moment.  Try this.  Put your hand on the spool and hold some tension on it.  Crank your handle counter clockwise as if you were going to drop the ball.  Let some cable out.  Take your hand off the spool.  Then start cranking the handle clockwise as if you were bringing the ball up.  You should be able to wind up the cable "briefly" and then it may stop and just start clicking.  If thats the case Im guessing the inside of your handle is stripped out.  Do this test without the ball on first.

You may be able to reel up the cable without the ball off.  Then do the test ball on.  If you can't reel it up with the ball on then your handle is stripped or its a clutch problem.

Let me know how that goes.  and Ill try and walk you through more options