Cayuga Cayuga sun morning

Cayuga sun morning

Fished Cayuga today north & south of Taughannock, 6am - 10:30am.  Picked up 5 lakers and 2 salmon.  Most were in the 17"-21" range, but finished up with my personal best laker, 30 inch, 13 lb.  Successfully released.  So great to be out there.  Looks like the water temp is gonna rise pretty quick the next few days.

13 lb laker.jpg

the fish we caught yesterday are big and all have big full bellies . i wouldn't be surprised if we start see more lake trout in double digit range . nice report and congrats on the big laker... 

Nice. The fish seem very healthy and yes, definitely well fed. 9.75 was my previous biggest laker. I'm psyched to make it into the double digits. I agree there's likely plenty more of them out there. Maybe even a 20+ pounder roaming around?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

4 hours ago, fisherdude said:

the fish we caught yesterday are big and all have big full bellies . i wouldn't be surprised if we start see more lake trout in double digit range . nice report and congrats on the big laker... 

I agree as well. We have yet to target Lakers over there this year. Honestly have been kind of trying to stay of of them but we lost a fish that was 14 easy at back of boat a few weeks ago do to poor netting and have lost a few fish that fought like Lakers id  have liked to get a look at. It sounds good and promising but if we get a goby die off do to vhs I bet those Lakers won't continue to be pushing such large sizes that they have been 

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't resist and went out again 7am this morning, told myself I'd head back home by 11 but stayed til 12pmish because the fishing was just ridiculously great.  Took until about 8:30am to get a bite, but 1st fish was even better than my previous morning's, this one a 7.6 pound salmon (new personal best salmon).  25 minutes later, another big salmon at 6.6 pounds.  I'm thinking, holy moly.  Three LL over 6lb in 2 days.  Never experienced more than one big one maybe every so often prior to this.  One of the salmon coughed up a whole alewife.  1/2 hr later, another nice 4 pound salmon, immediately followed by 18" rainbow.  Mellowed out for an hour, and then hooked another good fish which turned out to be a beauty 5 pound brown trout.  A small laker, another little LL and headed home.  Encountered 4 beautiful species today, really blown away by Cayuga, and thankful.

Salmon 7.6 pound 6.22.17.jpg

IMG_4225.jpg

IMG_4229.jpg

Edited by cinnamon fish

Thanks guys.  Two weeks from now is the SA Derby on Cayuga.  Should be a fun one, I'd like to fish it.  Feels like the lake is in a pretty fast state of flux the past couple of weeks with the water temps rising pretty quick now.  I saw mostly 63° surface temps yesterday and 65° today.  Fish really like it out there with these temps.

Great morning mostly just south of T-Falls again.  4 species day, 6 fish 7:30am-11:30am.  I usually catch & release, but kept one of each (brown, rainbow, laker, salmon) for eating this time.  All fish kept were in the 3-4 pound range and great fighters, especially the 3.6 lb rainbow and 3.75 lb salmon jumping 5-6 times into the air.  Released 2 smaller ones.  Same style spoons were still working 30-50 ft down in 60-100 fow.

IMG_4289.jpg

Hey guys, thanks.  Suttontroller94, sounds like you had a great flta tourney anyway.  Nice work.  I hope to get involved with some of those next year.  Gonna try to fish at least a couple of derbies this season... SA Derby next weekend, hopefully the Tom Margeit Memorial Derby Aug 5, and usually do the B&B derbies.  And, just curious, is anyone entering this one... http://www.nysiceproam.com/SummerClassic/Home.html?  I'm tempted, although the only salmonids that can win anything are lakers and browns.  Hopefully that will change in the future.  It's statewide, but hey I bet some finger lakes fish could win or place.

Edited by cinnamon fish

Well, here I am reading these posts this Saturday morning instead of fishing.  Heavy rain, lightning, and thunder. I guess I'll wait a while before I go out. Hoping for a repeat of last Saturday morning. Fished Sheldrake - Kidders area. Put a fish in the boat every 15 minutes for two hours. All of them lakers except for one small salmon. Not a lot of size to most of the lakers but was it fun.

Nice work :yes: Stay safe out there guys. ....sure getting sick of the rain and storms this season...:)

The storms over the past couple of days brought a lot of floating logs out into the lake, and there's some garbage floating likely from careless folks partying out there.   I fished Saturday evening for just a couple of hours without any strikes. Too much boat traffic I thought. Went back out 545am today for a few hours, started very slow first couple hrs. without any strikes in the area I've been doing very well in over the past couple of weeks, Then headed north near the boy scout camp and landed 5 LLs, two biggest were 4.2 pounds and 4 pounds, 2 others in the 2 pound range, and one dink.  The high water and all the holiday boat traffic definitely moved the fish around and I didn't run into any fish besides salmon today.  Happy though to keep getting beautiful silvers.  I'm curious how other folks did out there today.

Edited by cinnamon fish

Nice LL. I got out this morning 7am-11am, picked up 6 lakers, biggest 7 pounds. I hooked into something much bigger around 9:30am and fought it for at least 20 minutes. Peeled just about all of my line off at least three times, followed it with the boat, definitely felt like the strongest fish I've ever hooked into on the lake. Like a freight train, and when I finally started slowly gaining a fair amount, it pulled the hook. Wish I had at least gotten a look at it just to know what it was. Didn't jump but seemed too fast to be a big laker, but I could be wrong. Maybe a big brown. Or giant LL or giant rainbow that just didn't jump. Felt really big, extremely strong that's all I know. Metallic perch little Cleo. My pulse is still fired up.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United