Big Gull Lake - June 3 to 10

TrophySeeker

Had a pretty good week. I know a few LOU members fish this lake. Best June fishing for me in a few years. Only had one rain out day all week. Ate fish every day and 2 guys brought home a limit. Most fish caught fell within the slot limit. I will be back up there in September and hope the fishing will still be as good.20170607_122351.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Be prepared to be stopped at the border, and pull all fish out of any container so they can be Identified, and if you mention a slot lake, measurements will be taken, it would be best to have them whole, after that is done you get to repackage them at your leisure. ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

15 hours ago, Roughrider IV said:

Be prepared to be stopped at the border, and pull all fish out of any container so they can be Identified, and if you mention a slot lake, measurements will be taken, it would be best to have them whole, after that is done you get to repackage them at your leisure. ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have been stopped at the border twice by the MNR for inspection since the slot limit. I asked them the preferred method for transporting fish, and they were happy with what I had (1 fish per bag with skin on). The only improvement they suggested was to freeze with filets next to each other skin side up instead of meat to meat to show that there were no smaller fish between the filets. They did not indicate a preference for transporting whole fish. 

Video here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/packaging-transporting-or-exporting-fish

Sounds like some of you guy know the lake well . Have you ever encountered any muskies. 20 years ago rumor had it there were muskies mostly in the east end. I fished it once and decided I had better options closer to home although I live less than an hour away..

I'll be at kirks from tomorrow am through wed. My buddy that s fished the area for years says the area in front of kirks always holds fish but is rocky and snag infested. He said there are some other far more tackle friendly spots that are just as good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think you guys must be using way heavier jigs than I do. For lead heads I use 1/4 oz most of the time. Occasionally 3/8. Never bigger. The round body bucktails are usually 1/2 oz and the body style snags easily. I like the stand-up style, and this particular one has a separate eye to tie on a stinger.

https://shop.northlandtackle.com/seasonal-tackle/open-water-fishing/stand-up-fire-ball-jig/

I have, and it can be effective, especially on clear nights. However, I fish for close to 8 hours in the morning, often a couple hours in the afternoon, and then after a couple beers back on land I'm ready for bed at dark. Plus - I really don't enjoy trolling for walleyes. I like to jig for eaters. Many guys like to troll for trophies. On Gull Lake you would be trolling for eaters, which I don't really enjoy. However, you can put some nice fillets in the freezer with a couple hours of night trolling.

I just got back myself from 4 1/2 days on Big Gull. Being my first time there I gotta call it a success. We ate walleye every day (blackened walleye with eggs was excellent! :))...and brought limits home. Like other have said...most fell into slot. Wind was pretty strong most days which made us work at it. Most fish came in 13 to 16 which differed big time from previous post that said 17 to 25 I think. Highlight was gorgeous 40" northern my buddy got on tiny jig on 4 lb test. Truly beautiful fish...which was released. Funny...most fish in there seem skinny. The eyes are long and pretty thin. The northern only weighed 10lbs with head the biggest part of it. There's lots of forage in there...bait everywhere so the lack of girth on all fish is kind of odd. No doubt I'll be going back though!

I know one thing, the Ontario fish police don't know all the regs. they were going to fine the crap out of our group, because the Quebec provinces are differant than the Ontario provinces, finally they got their shyt together and let us go. The outfitters limit was 2 fish short of the provincial limit. Yet the goons at the border are clueless. We got stripped down to the bare metal on the way up, and plagued buy the fish police on the way home. It's a nice place Canada, I really miss our trips up there, the border cops need to focus on the other paraphernalia that's going over the border instead of picking on the millions of U.S. Dollars going to the outfitters, even they bytch about the Bullshyt they hear their clients are enduring just to get to their camp.

Pap - never had a problem like that. I have been stopped and inspected several times, but always knowledgeable and courteous. LTF - I'm not surprised you found them a little shallower. I tend to fish the deeper structure than many. Also, since I fish light tackle with a lot of scope, it's hard to know exactly the depth of the bite - though you can usually feel the structure on the way up. Did you try any night trolling?

We went out at night for a very brief troll...lol...without any moon it is frn black on that lake! We stayed at kirks (great place!!)..and there are hazards all over around there. Then there was lightning heading out way and we said to he'll with it. I think you mentioned moonlight would be a good thing...so true.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app