Ballyhoo

You all definitely need to review the baitfish regulations.  I would say a call to NYSDEC would be warranted before bringing Florida baitfish into NYS Waters, as the language dealing with Marine species is as clear as the Genesee River in March! 

Alewife is limited to the following lakes:

Alewife: Canandaigua Lake; Canadice Lake; Cannonsville Reservoir; Cayuga Lake; Cayuta Lake; Conesus Lake; Hemlock Lake; Waneta Lake; Hudson River downstream from Lock C-4 and its associated dam in Stillwater to the Battery at the southern tip of Manhattan Island; Keuka Lake; Otsego Lake; Otisco Lake; Owasco Lake; Lake Ontario; Lake Erie; Lamoka Lake; Pepacton Reservoir; Seneca Lake; St. Lawrence River; Niagara River; Mohawk River, and all waters in Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster and Westchester counties.

The regulations are challenging, but where I fish in the 'daks, we get checked quite frequently, for species,  and the dated receipt.  

I spent much time going back and forth with the DEC in Albany. I have an email from them stating that ANY baitfish preserved by brining can be used in NY waters. Their problem was with bait that was only preserved by freezing Which does not kill VHS virus

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United