Gambler rigs

My lone laker came today (5pm to 830) off a pink dot gambler rig. Canandaigua lake 100 foot of water 87 deep on rigger. Small laker but glad to have the chance looked good and healthy tho. 1.9 mph going to get more bags tomorrow to try and slow down more.

Cayuga for the day tomorroe

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Stoneam your speeds fine. I shoot for 2 to 2.1 SOG. Sometimes faster to get away from the dinks.I dont want a lot of fish just a big fish.

Also run a rubber band in the releases and watch the rod tip.You do not want to be towing around a small fish when you go by a big one.....its very easy to do.

I run gambler stuff along with some of my own.

lunker in Barney bear derby came on a  Gambler rig.

I always have a couple sets in the water.

20 years or so ago I used to catch browns on cowbells on the s end of Cayuga. I would run them probably 200 ft behind the ball,way back . I can not make that work anymore.

Stoneam you keep this board interesting with your reports.We were all where you were at years ago.

Advise.... If you have something working and it quits working leave it out there . Dont put something out that you never caught a fish on.Maybe the fish quit biting. And if they start biting again you have stuff out that you never caught a fish on. When the fish are biting you experiment with different stuff.

Stoneam your speeds fine. I shoot for 2 to 2.1 SOG. Sometimes faster to get away from the dinks.I dont want a lot of fish just a big fish.
Also run a rubber band in the releases and watch the rod tip.You do not want to be towing around a small fish when you go by a big one.....its very easy to do.
I run gambler stuff along with some of my own.
lunker in Barney bear derby came on a  Gambler rig.

I always have a couple sets in the water.
20 years or so ago I used to catch browns on cowbells on the s end of Cayuga. I would run them probably 200 ft behind the ball,way back . I can not make that work anymore.
Stoneam you keep this board interesting with your reports.We were all where you were at years ago.
Advise.... If you have something working and it quits working leave it out there . Dont put something out that you never caught a fish on.Maybe the fish quit biting. And if they start biting again you have stuff out that you never caught a fish on. When the fish are biting you experiment with different stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fishstix

I have also started running some of Gambler Rigs. Could you please explain a little bit on the rubber band release? I have been experimenting with the large Scotty releases and the Chamberlain releases. Would you just wrap a rubber band around the mainline and then put the rubber band in the release? I know this this sounds like a pretty dumb question but I'm just trying to learn.

Also interested in the rubber band deal.
The reason id like to be able to get slower is that Brian and a few others have recommended real slow speeds for cowbell and spin and glow. I know I can always go faster but when the bite is not happening it would be nice to try and slow down a little to maybe take some less aggressive fish.

So also dealt with my first tangle yesterday ended up crossing cowbell of riggers into eachother what a mess.

Another thing I have to ask is is the under current in Canandaigua strong? I couldn't get anything to behave the way it has before. Dipsy would stay out from boat, riggers constantly angling in toward motor or out just could not get my gear to stay put. Anyone have any ideas on what was happening.

And thanks fishtix glad I can keep guys reading here but honestly this forum wouldn't be what it is without all you guys willing to jump in and help when we ask questions.

Agree Stoneam, this site is just unbelievable with the amount of support from very knowledgeable anglers. Sometimes I'm just afraid to ask questions because they may appear to be stupid. I have been trolling now for about four years and believe me when I say this I would not be where I am today without this site. A lot more to learn and look forward to the continued support.

Stoneam were you by any chance having this problem while going cross wind? If so this is referred to as "crabbing" it happens during stonger wind days especially at slower speeds but it is best to avoid it if possibly in my opinion most strikers occur while gear is running true and proper. I personally try to point my bow correctly in to oncoming waves or go with the waves. You could also be facing an underwater current as you mentioned one way to combat that slightly is by running torpedo or shark shaped rigger weights as they tend to be a little more aerodynamic than a traditional "ball" troutman (harvey o'hara)on this sight makes  great torpedo weights and bikinibottom (Rich matwiejow) also on this sight makes very nice shark weights

You just take the rubber band and do a half hitch around your mainline and clip it in your release.The rubber band is between your mainline and the release.. They make fishing rubberbands. The lite ones seem to work fine. I used to save the ones the pennysaver came in . Put them in the sun and they got brittle yet still strong . Pop like a release.

This is going to sound crazy but...As for downrigger balls tangleing. I have Rh downrigger balls and Lh downrigger balls. They are the round ones 10lb but the tails are bent slightly so they swim out away from each other. .you look down from the top you might see a small bend in the tail.  Yours might be tuned so switch sides. Also you might have 2 lefts or 2 rights,

All you need is 5ft or less to run cowbells behind the ball. Saves tangles..

Yea I run sharks and noticed today they drive to one side or other so solved that. Unfortunately I drug another small one around for a bit today tangled me all up but again was healthy and swam away very strong. I'm using blacks release and when I loosen them the sharks pop going down under my clicker on my rods tension. Am I missing something?

Save yourself a lot of struggle and ditch the blacks, they work great for kings but not lakers. I have drug 10lb lakers on blacks that 15" salmon popped. I run chamberlains now and don't think I have drug a fish with them. Tighten the top thumb screw with pliers and play with the end screw until they aren't releasing from the bells and a perch should release them fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save yourself a lot of struggle and ditch the blacks, they work great for kings but not lakers. I have drug 10lb lakers on blacks that 15" salmon popped. I run chamberlains now and don't think I have drug a fish with them. Tighten the top thumb screw with pliers and play with the end screw until they aren't releasing from the bells and a perch should release them fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chamberlins? I will check them out thanks buckmaster.

Stoneam, I have used these releases and they work great. In my opinion the best two adjustment release on the market. Like someone said earlier adjust the one for the rod very tight so you can put a really good band in the rod and work with the bottom release for the fish.

I  run Blacks releases but over winter I bought Chamberlain releases and stackers… I think the Chamberlains are superior releases I can't wait to try them; especially on the Finger Lakes! 

I've run blacks for years , have a double pair one for spoons and one for dodger/flashers. You have to re-check them each time out because they get a bit sticky. You can crank them down and use a rubber band on they also. 

The  Chamberlain releases  sound like a good deal.

I generally use Scotty and Offshore pinch pad releases, and yes about half of the Lakers don't release. I will look into Chamberlains too, thanks for the info. I have some Blacks, but haven't tried them. About 10 years ago I fished Kings on Lake Michigan (I've since moved further north) and we would use Big Jon rubber band releases. They work really nice and you can buy different tension rubber bands. We would just buy the bands at an office supply store, but Big Jon also sells them directly. Big Jon is a Michigan company.

IMG_4545.JPG

as i said the blacks i like for kings the finger lakes when using down riggers i use the pinch pad but can bend the rod down like i do with black releases  , i will check the chamberlain  also .

Edited by fisherdude

I love my Scotty pinch pads I almost traded them for blacks but so glad I didn't because of the long leader you can see when you've got a shakers on easy and once I had them broken in they released on most fish once you learn how deep to place the line depending on running spoons or flashers

I love my Scotty pinch pads I almost traded them for blacks but so glad I didn't because of the long leader you can see when you've got a shakers on easy and once I had them broken in they released on most fish once you learn how deep to place the line depending on running spoons or flashers

Good point, yeah I can see them shaking with the Scotties. I will try placing the line more shallow in the pad.