July 1st..Monroe county off shore Classic derby

This may help you to understand the origin and progression of the phrase

1981: Nintendo’s Donkey Kong, an arcade game that features a plumber dodging fireballs and barrels thrown by a giant ape, becomes an overnight sensation.

Nov. 17, 1992: Rapper Ice Cube brings the phrase to the masses on his The Predator album, in the first line of the track “Now I Gotta Wet’cha.”

It’s on like Donkey Kong

You wanted that fast buck

Now I gotta light that ass up

Feb. 16, 1993: First recorded use of the phrase in print media. The following quote in USA Today article titled “Gangs put L.A. on edge” was delivered by 21-year-old recent parolee John Wilder:

“If those four white police don’t get hung, it’s on again. It’s on like Donkey Kong!”

Nov. 15, 1998: First recorded use of the phrase in sports. Brigham Young University defensive lineman Daren Yancey told reporters this about the team’s upcoming game against Utah.

“It’s on. It’s on like Donkey Kong. This could make or break our season.”

(BYU won the game 26-24.)

June 18, 2000: Rapper and pioneering wordsmith Snoop Dogg uses the term to express his delight over a reconstructed Lakers team that includes Shaquille O’Neal, a young Kobe Bryant and new coach Phil Jackson.

“I really love these hip-hop Lakers. Now with Phil, it’s on like Donkey Kong.”

2000-2005: For the next five years, the phrase exploded in popularity, appearing everywhere from the movie “Dumb and Dumberer” to the NHL finals.

My favorite use of the phrase during this period was in the Trace Adkins song “Honky Tonk Badonkadonk”:

“Got it going on like Donkey Kong, and whoo-wee, shut my mouth, slap your grandma, there oughta be a law”.

May 14, 2006: Guy Fieri wins “Next Food Network Star.” Adopts “On like Donkey Kong” as one of his catchphrases. No word whether he’s changed it to “I’m all that, like Mortal Kombat” in the wake of Nintendo’s recent legal maneuvers. (See below.)

January 2009: In a commercial with his brother Eli to promote something called the Oreo Double Stuff Racing League challenge, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning declares “It’s on like Donkey Kong!”

Sept. 3, 2009: “On like Donkey Kong” has been a popular quote in crime stories throughout the years. The best quote by far came from this police blotter item that appeared in the Charlestown Post and Courier in South Carolina.

Man accused of vandalizing car

A 21-year-old man called the Charleston County Sheriff’s Office after another man accused him of dumping 50 pounds of dog droppings on his car and sending him a text message that said, “It’s on like Donkey Kong.”

The other man, a 31-year-old, said that the same Donkey Kong message was sent to him and that he just sent it back.

The deputy discovered that the 31-year-old man had a suspended license and saw him driving, so he was arrested on a charge of driving under suspension, reports say.

November 2010: Nintendo files a request with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to trademark the words “It’s on like Donkey Kong.”

Jan. 4, 2011: In a Board of Supervisors meeting to decide on a new interim mayor, San Francisco supervisor Chris Daly promises revenge against a rival politician who switched a vote, declaring “It’s on like Donkey Kong.” In a search of close to 300 newspaper and magazine articles and television program transcripts, this appears to be the first time the phrase was used publicly by an American politician.

July 1 2017

Monroe County Off Shore Classic

It is declared by Double D that tournament will be a battle and "on like Donkey Kong" 

The Monroe County Shoot out is on for sure with a new format for Big Fish Friday- 4 fish box (one of each species- brown, steelie, laker and salmon).  Contact Captain Lucas Falkner "Make the Turn" Charters.  

Saturday July 1st- $200 a boat, 5 fish box (only one lake trout), 10 points per fish + total weight = score.  

Sign up via Matt French or Rich Hajecki. facebook "monroe county offshore classic"

We will start a thread for teams that are signed up/paid up soon.

3 hours ago, henrybud said:

The Monroe County Shoot out is on for sure with a new format for Big Fish Friday- 4 fish box (one of each species- brown, steelie, laker and salmon).  Contact Captain Lucas Falkner "Make the Turn" Charters.  

Saturday July 1st- $200 a boat, 5 fish box (only one lake trout), 10 points per fish + total weight = score.  

Sign up via Matt French or Rich Hajecki. facebook "monroe county offshore classic"

We will start a thread for teams that are signed up/paid up soon.

Larry, say for some reason I don't do the facebook thing. Maybe due to being sought by the FBI and CIA, just an example of course. Or maybe I'm scared no one will want to be my friend. Is there another way to sign up?