Chamount/Henderson walleye

Prov1

Chamount/Henderson walleye

I grew up fishing lake erie and have always done well on the eyes with work harnesses. Tried chaumont the other day, started around the shoals in 15-20 fow, the only thing I caught were bass, and perch. Tried deeper around cheery island, and then out towards point peninsula same result. The perch were so aggressive keeping a rig down for eyes was impossible. And I was moving around 1.2 mph. 

Any tips for tomorrow, gonna give it another try. Due to winds I might get stuck staying near the black river.

I don't use harnesses for that reason. There are a lot of perch and gobies up there and they usually take it before the eyes. Troll deep diver stick baits and find the bait. No bait usually no eyes.

I will have to give them a try, usually if you keep the speed up above 1 mph the gobies and perch don't really bother you. At least that's from my experience on lake erie. I have been fishing for wallets for 15 years and never had the perch bother me as much as they did the other day. I'm used to getting one here and there but nothing like the day. I will have to get out of my comfort zone and drag some rapalas 

I've tried harnesses with plastic and had some luck. Guys are using spoons also on leadcore and boards. What was your picture like around cherry? I marked a lot of bait in the deepest zone to 70 ft there a few weeks ago but it changes daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I was fishing 25 fow up to about 17 or 18, made one pass and left due to the perch, didn't see much on the screen. It was my first time wallets fishing up here so I have a lot to learn.

I just can't believe how much different it is compared to erie 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prov1 said:

I was fishing 25 fow up to about 17 or 18, made one pass and left due to the perch, didn't see much on the screen. It was my first time wallets fishing up here so I have a lot to learn.

I just can't believe how much different it is compared to erie 

A buddy of mine that fishes Erie often and does well says the same thing. The tactics on Erie are completely different from what I have seen. You basically run shallow and deep divers all the time. Really no spoon bite even tipped, Dipsys and slide divers are a waste of time. The water is so clear up there you can be over 60fow with marks on the bottom and fish will come up to 15' or 16' to hit the lure.

3 minutes ago, Chas0218 said:

A buddy of mine that fishes Erie often and does well says the same thing. The tactics on Erie are completely different from what I have seen. You basically run shallow and deep divers all the time. Really no spoon bite even tipped, Dipsys and slide divers are a waste of time. The water is so clear up there you can be over 60fow with marks on the bottom and fish will come up to 15' or 16' to hit the lure.

I grew up fishing lake erie walleyes out of Erie PA, and still fish them a few times a year.  From mid june through sept, 5 color with bagleys, reef runners clean, and dipseys with willow harnesses and spoons are all we use, and typically pull a 3 man limit ( 6 a person) by noon.  Divers are definitely not a waste of time there.  Tactics are a wholeeeee lot different from our part of ontario though for sure.

41 minutes ago, CK3080 said:

I grew up fishing lake erie walleyes out of Erie PA, and still fish them a few times a year.  From mid june through sept, 5 color with bagleys, reef runners clean, and dipseys with willow harnesses and spoons are all we use, and typically pull a 3 man limit ( 6 a person) by noon.  Divers are definitely not a waste of time there.  Tactics are a wholeeeee lot different from our part of ontario though for sure.

Leadcore works on Onatrio as well but isn't ran as often because you can get just as good of results with the deep divers. No need to get real deep when fishing Ontario most fish are 30' or less on structure. I have ran my riggers with long leads in the 100' range and have taken some nice pike but no eyes.

I will give it a shot, I'm looking for eating size anyway. It's fun catching the big ones but I toss them back to fight another day

You end up having any luck today? I'm going out tomorrow, don't know where I wanna launch yet. An update would be greatly appreciated.

- GBL

Puffer II: 1802 Trophy
Green Boat: 1966 Starcraft Mariner-V 14

I went out of Dexter on Friday since the wind was blowing hard i figured I wouldn't be able to get out in chaumont. My intentions where to fish the entrance of the river if the bay was to rough. Well the bay was rolling so I stayed in the river. Managed to catch my first walleye up here, it was a monster. 

20170616_103623.jpg

That's the best sign I've seen in a while, they haven't stocked a walleye in many moons in the Black River, my daughters first fish was a respectful eye from the river. This year take everything you know about eye fishing and throw it out the window. Charters are getting a few but not limits like years before. Fish the shoals with deep divers 18ft plus divers keep speeds around 1.9-2.3.  1 or 2 fish a day for now is being on fire!!

• 2 months later...

Went out of Henderson this morning in search of big eyes, took a bit but found them and it was game on. Went 4 for 7. Caught a 10.13lb 10.08 lb 10.02 lb and 8.8 lb. lost another 10lber right at the boat  Had a slob break a leader at the boat that was all of 10+. All in all a great morning.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow that's a nice haul.  I will be salmon fishing this weekend up there unless the south wind is too strong for the kayak and then it will be walleye trolling in front of camp instead.  I like fishing out of Henderson as well.  I stick to big Reef Runners but will occasionally change it up to harnesses if nothing is going. I put floats on my spinner rigs this year and the gobies haven't been as much of an issue

On August 26, 2017 at 8:14 PM, HOOKEM & COOKEM said:

Went out of Henderson this morning in search of big eyes, took a bit but found them and it was game on. Went 4 for 7. Caught a 10.13lb 10.08 lb 10.02 lb and 8.8 lb. lost another 10lber right at the boat  Had a slob break a leader at the boat that was all of 10+. All in all a great morning.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

WOW that's the best catch I saw this year!!  Congrats to you and your catch. Nicely done by all means!! PAP.

Thanks Pap. I think I'm going back up tomorrow for another shot at getting that wall hanger. My previous goal was over 10lb and 30". I acomplished that but after losing one at the boat that was larger I feel I have to set my bar higher. Not that 10lbers are the norm but when you do 3-4 in a day I know there is bigger out there ;) 

3 hours ago, HOOKEM & COOKEM said:

Thanks Pap. I think I'm going back up tomorrow for another shot at getting that wall hanger. My previous goal was over 10lb and 30". I acomplished that but after losing one at the boat that was larger I feel I have to set my bar higher. Not that 10lbers are the norm but when you do 3-4 in a day I know there is bigger out there ;) 

By all means if you can get out tomorrow, stay with them you got the hard part done!! Mines 12.3/4# 32" long. But that fish came out of Canada fly in trip 25+ years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 26, 2017 at 8:14 PM, HOOKEM & COOKEM said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yeah that was a good day. We had fun!!! Game on buddy. 

Hookem n cookem

Awesome fish!  I got your buddy on a bunch of good fish the other day... not sure if he showed you pics?  No ten pounders though!!!  20+lb tiger the and some 5 lb eaters along with a pile of big smallies.

I think harnesses are great if you are on feeding fish, but if you are struggling to find active fish 2 mph and sticks of some kind covers a ton more water and there are lots of baits I do well with at 3mph.  I had days last year where plenty of guys did as well as I did or maybe better with their harnesses, but on days I struggled and had to work to get into the eyes the harness guys got skunked at 1 mph because they never found em.  I also often go out a couple hours before I anticipate the bite so I can find what I'm looking for on my graph.  I fish a tiny lake and it takes me 2 hours to check all the  places I want to check with lines down at 2.5 ish.   Just food for thought

So if I wanted to catch walleye am I better off by the island in Henderson or hitting up chaumont? I'm desperate lol. Trolled brb for hours but I think kings are in there pushing stuff out. Any pointer would be great hope to get out this afternoon. Thanks LC

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United