Speed do you run flashers

Speed do you run flashers

I always been told when you run flashers with meat or flies and if they are 8 inch pro troll flashers or the bigger flashers you have to run slow like 2 mph or under and that would be the speed at the cannon ball. Can you run flashers faster. Also can you run spoons on the down riggers when you are running flashers especially  going slow.

Good question. I run SD/ FLY, flasher/spoons, PADDLE/meat. Got a fish hawk this spring and I notice no increase in my success. Hard to know if the right speed for one combination is killing the other ones. This is something that I've never seen discussed. I mean, if you run 2.7 that may be good for FF, but wrong for meat. I have no idea. I just try to stay between 2.4 and 2.7. but even the fish hawk probe setting can be "calibrated' changed, so I guess it is just a reference.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good question. I run SD/ FLY, flasher/spoons, PADDLE/meat. Got a fish hawk this spring and I notice no increase in my success. Hard to know if the right speed for one combination is killing the other ones. This is something that I've never seen discussed. I mean, if you run 2.7 that may be good for FF, but wrong for meat. I have no idea. I just try to stay between 2.4 and 2.7. but even the fish hawk probe setting can be "calibrated' changed, so I guess it is just a reference.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You guys are WAY overthinking this. Most meat rigs can be run at any speed that flies and spoons are run at. The exception would be big "okie" type flashers which generally require a slower trolling speed. E chips pulling meat can be run at the same speed you would pull them with flies. Spin doctors are the most forgiving of all and can be run at almost any speed.
The secret with meat is the "roll". Figure that out and you'll find the "secret" to fishing meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One of the things omitted here but important is that a specific speed number is often not sufficient to tell if you are on target or even in the ballpark because down speed may be different than the GPS speed and even the number off them isn't going to "do it" because currents can wreak havoc with attractors. The subsurface currents on Lake O are often brutal and vary in direction as well as intensity such that speed adjustments have to be made along the way to get your lures to act the way you wish. The gauge I use is the rod tips and their position along with the angle of the lines especially the wire setups and downriggers and and I monitor it constantly. You can tell when you are running with against or across current and also whether the attractor (Spin Doc, flasher, dodger or Cowbell) is working effectively once you gain experience with it.