Out Riggers

Out Riggers

I have a chance to get set out riggers for free, they have electric motors? I think the man told me they are at least 12' they were given to him. He thought they were to big for his boat?? What are the benefits of these?? To those of you that have them could you enlighten me on the pro's & cons. Thanks guys pap!!

seems to me it would be just like using a planer mast and boards, except you can't get out as far.  Ive wondered the exact same thing though.  They use them for tuna and marlin, so why not salmon?

The benefits to me would be less rope and reels etc.  no boards to store.  and it would totally look badass !

Yeah I agree on the badass, I'm going to pick them up this week. I meet the fellow at my great uncles place on the St.Lawrence River and here the guy lives in Palmerton Pa. Like 8 miles away from my house, small world. He said the whole works are there. Plus they are electric whatever that means. I'll get pics up as soon as I can.

11 hours ago, pap said:

Out Riggers

I have a chance to get set out riggers for free, they have electric motors? I think the man told me they are at least 12' they were given to him. He thought they were to big for his boat?? What are the benefits of these?? To those of you that have them could you enlighten me on the pro's & cons. Thanks guys pap!!

You might want to ask about out riggers in the open lake section where more people are likely to see it. Have you checked youtube for out rigger use on the great lakes?

8 hours ago, pap said:

Yeah I did going to pick them up this week even if I decide against the the idea.

I don't see any disadvantages to having them. I've never used them before, so I hope they work out for you.

Well I looked at them this morning, it is a Lake Master set up with a cannon look motor and cable and wheel at the end of the boom which looks like 2, (8-10) foot sections that screw into each other. He has a pile of stuff to move to get at them. I told him let's wait till it's cooler. In his garage it must have been 90* in there. Thanks for the interests and any info I can get on this. It's a new ball game for me. :lol:

11 hours ago, pap said:

Yeah I did going to pick them up this week even if I decide against the the idea.

I think Les uses them or used to on the fingerlakes. Dont get caught in the trough with those, not sure but I'm betting they might put a little stress on the old gunnels if they start to slap the water. They would be fun running a dipsy off to get them out further away from the boat. I don't think I would run copper or leadcore with dipsys on them I think you would be asking for trouble.

Edited by Chas0218

Thanks, I did invasion having to do some fiberglass reinforcements if I decided to put these to use. I'm going to have to put some sort of gusset in that area!! I've never seen anything like these units, they have a cannon motor and cable out to the end of the boom with like a cannon swiveling wheel on the end and the guys has those 10# fish weights that are bent to take your line out. To me it looks like a cannon downrigger on steroids!! :lol:

2 hours ago, pap said:

Thanks, I did invasion having to do some fiberglass reinforcements if I decided to put these to use. I'm going to have to put some sort of gusset in that area!! I've never seen anything like these units, they have a cannon motor and cable out to the end of the boom with like a cannon swiveling wheel on the end and the guys has those 10# fish weights that are bent to take your line out. To me it looks like a cannon downrigger on steroids!! :lol:

I think you scored, they sound awesome!

2 hours ago, pap said:

Run rigger weights off of them! 

that sounds almost like commercial outriggers.  look up commercial salmon fishing on youtube.  could also be what many longliners call birds actually used to help stabilize the boat when pulling gear.  most standard outriggers do not have motors and there just is not need.  you can usually run the line out with one hand.

as far as using standard outriggers I was given a pair of 12 footers a couple years ago and here is what i find.  they are nice in a crowd because you are much more maneuverable they also make you look bigger so it tends to buy you more room.  in rougher weather they don't bounce around like boards.  you can run anything off of them including dipseys which is nice for more spread.

downside is they don't get as far out as boards.  for my set up storage is easy but initial set up and put away is a pain in the but.  still they have there time and place.  if i got a new boat I would consider getting a new set but I would go longer with a different type of mount ideally something that I could leave attached to the boat in storage.