1970 60 hp evinrude

HB2

1970 60 hp evinrude

Buddy has this motor. starts up , smokes a bit. Runs rough but ok  . Top end runs well . Back it down to idle, it stall and starts very hard. let it cool and it starts back up and does same thing. Thinking weak spark maybe bad coil. I say buy a new boat but he  cant . Any advice. Did the plug deal and adjusted carbs. 

Update

90-95 on all cylinders

found wires on motor around coil / power pack area that insulation had deteriorayed and some shorting /arching look like it was going on. Shrink tube/ replaced bad. 

Pulled flywheel. some oil evidence but not to bad . Crank seal going ? Lets hope not. Cleaned with brake cleaner . Emery points and regap. inspected wires ,looked good. 

Took carbs off and cleaned / inspected. 

New fuel , added in line filter( Esential IMO) cleaned filter screen on motor 

New plugs

Muffs on fired up , started , let run , adjust carbs. Took to canal , dumped in , Drove it like we stole it, ran great. 

Total cost about $ 30 

Thanks tuff for the advice. 

Glad it was a simple fix !  It appears you diagnosed the problem !

I forgot to mention a blocked exhaust on a 2cycle engine which burns oil with gas ; may still be a plan on an  old engine  ie drop the lower unit an view the exhaust ports carbon buildup can be readily visible and easily removed !

Also I would change the impeller [ water pump] if it has not been done to avoid overheating the engine.