Hummbird 597 ci

Ok guys I have a hummingbird 597 ci with GPS and I see I have a spot I can put a chip in. Now I assume this is for maps? And if so what do I need to get to have the contour maps for the fingers. Please help as I know the maps can help figure things out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I run a Navionics Map card in my Humminbird.  I went with Navionics as they had coverage for Chautauqua Lake.  Humminbird has Lakemaster Map cards, but I found the lake coverage for NY to be limited.  Before you purchase check both unit compatibility and lake coverage.  These Map chips aren't cheap and are non returnable once opened.  Another thing with a 5" unit you will have pretty small view of contours in a split screen.  I recommend at least a 7 inch screen.  I contour troll and drift in my Lund and the Map chip works well.

Yea the plan is to upgrade eventually but would like the contour maps to give me a idea what bottom looks like probably won't run split screen. Thank you for advice...what size is the navionics card for hummingbirds looks like there's different size cards right?

The Map chips aren't sold by size.  They are brand and model specific.  They are offered for different regions so you need to drill down to be sure the lakes you want are offered on that particular Map chip.  Most of the sites selling these have a three step process so you get the right chip.  Most also offer free updates for a year as well. Just spend some time on Navionics or Lakemaster sites so you are comfortable getting the correct chip for your 597ci.

Humminbird Lakemaster is now on Version 2. I bought Version 1 two years ago and I like the maps in it. Version 1 Cannot be upgraded to Version 2, so I took this as an opportunity to buy the Navionics + Regions East card on Walmart dot com last month. I have 2 Humminbird fish finders in each of my two boats; a gen 1 Helix 5 DI and a 698 with SI/DI in my 16ft row boat, and an 859 DI and a 959 in my 21ft Bayliner Trophy.

Both programs show similar contours on the 2 inland lakes I've used them on, but I haven't used them on Lake Ontario yet, or the finger lakes. Neither one will show all shoals in a lake, but they both do a good job of marking the basic contours of the lake bottom.

Lakemaster Version 2 has added some new lakes and contour detail over version 1, but I don't know how much better it is than version 1.

If you PM me your email address I will send you a PDF copy of the lakes that are covered in the Navionics + Regions East and Lakemaster Version 2. It's enough lakes to make your eyes go crossed just browsing through the list.

The Navionics card needs to be loaded from their web site before you can use it. The Lakemaster card came pre-loaded. You will probably want the SD/MSD card, not the Compact Flash card.

Edited by Todd in NY

20 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Ok guys I have a hummingbird 597 ci with GPS and I see I have a spot I can put a chip in. Now I assume this is for maps? And if so what do I need to get to have the contour maps for the fingers. Please help as I know the maps can help figure things out.

PM and email sent.

I would call the seller/store and make sure their included map software isn't a partial promotional version of Navionics +, which normally costs more than $160 by itself. I'd hate for you to get it and find out it doesn't include the lakes you fish. Ask them for a list of included lakes. Sounds like a great deal though.

Edited by Todd in NY

My suggestion is buy a helix 5 or 7 with just sonar and the local chip that covers your home water the best and use your current 597 for mapping and the helix for a fishfinder. A 5 or 7" screen is just too small to split screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not to worried about split screen more of be able to see where is what as far as holes and structures once on them id switch back....at least I think that's what I would like to do.

I am not to worried about split screen more of be able to see where is what as far as holes and structures once on them id switch back....at least I think that's what I would like to do.

If that's all you're going to use it for if you have a smart phone the navionics app for 10$ a year would be perfect! Screen shot from my phone.

IMG_3319.PNG

If that's all you're going to use it for if you have a smart phone the navionics app for 10$ a year would be perfect!

Problem is I can't see jack on my phone when on the boat and 99 percent of time it is what's also feeding my music into my head unit. I have looked at that app too. When you mentioned it earlier.

I Was looking at the chips for the 597 then realized how pricey they were so convinced the wife I needed to upgrade as it would offset the cost while selling the 597 to guy at work lol.

If that's all you're going to use it for if you have a smart phone the navionics app for 10$ a year would be perfect! Screen shot from my phone.
IMG_3319.thumb.PNG.9fdc48f73a45990fd4c988238b756b56.PNG

Yea that's what I want on my screw. When I hit the button to pull it up. With my current location.