Lake ontario smallmouth

fosort

Lake ontario smallmouth

New to lake ontario smallmouth fishing but looking to try something other than bay bass fishing. Fishing in general takes place in or near Port bay. My question is where to begin looking for smallies on the big lake? I do have decent sonar but still struggle with locating fish. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for the replies. I'll try out the bluffs soon. Do you guys recommend trolling or drifting. Also do I start in shallows and head out to deeper water to try to locate? Usually water seems to be gin clear on calmer sunny days. Is That Considered Poor fishing quality? Thanks again for some tips. Just trying to figure out how to put some fish in the boat for my kids who struggle with limited catches. 

• 1 month later...

Smallmouth has been slow this year.mayb3 to much bait im not sure

Ive marked many fish few hits

Visabily is way down to shore erosian

Lots of gobies other fish

Last year was excellent maybe to many taken.

Might be a idea to reduce limits.slot size might help bring them back

What are your thoughts?

Get rid of the catch&release rule first, they will strike at anything while on the nest. You remove the hen or the male and those gobys have those eggs destroyed in seconds.,!! Plus the smallies have developed a taste for those slimy suckers, use a gobie presentation with soft plastics. Smallies have a very similar life style like the walleyes, rocky bottom usually close to a deeper drop offs that they can escape to, fish the shoals that are 30ft or so and work your bait down off the shoals. They are in there, just this years they are playing hard ball. My uncles are up there now, they are with a semi pro bass fisherman, so see what they have to say. Good luck and tight lines!!

• 3 weeks later...

fish have been scattered more this year.Last night I marked many solitary fish .There has been a abundance of bait inside this year.Maybe next year will be better.

last year our area was hit pretty hard