Transom Kicker Install

Transom Kicker Install

Anything I need to know about before installing my kicker on the transom? I measured and have plenty of room on the transom. Is it really as simple as hanging it on the transom and tightening the screws? Do I need to put something on the transom to avoid marking or denting it? Is there such a thing as too tight? 

Hey Fishingfool34,

I have a 1992 Sea nymph with a 90hp Johnson. I installed a kicker also. I did purchase a rubber pad to make sure there was no vibrations transmitting through the boat and it protects the boat. It's been there 25 years now with no problem. Have a great fishing season. 

11 minutes ago, tinfin said:

Don't forget to account for weight distribution! Like batterys! How many people etc.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This ^^ make sure your boat can handle the extra weight of the kicker on the transom not structurally but safety wise. Some boats it wouldn't make much if any difference others it lowers the transom a couple inches in the water. That can make for an interesting situation in a following sea.

Edited by Chas0218

3 hours ago, tinfin said:

Don't forget to account for weight distribution! Like batterys! How many people etc.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Already have it set to install on port side to offset weight of driver and batteries. Easiest way to do it anyway, with all cables and wiring running to starboard side from the main engine.

Edited by FishingFool34

I did the same the same thing put it on the port side, and so was my batteries, which I failed to remember, which made it lean to the port side, I have 2 group 31 batteries. 1 is a duel purpose and the other is a strictly deep cycle battery, that operates all the electronics, they are heavy. So between the kicker which I have on the swim platform and the group 31 batteries, they way over weigh me. I ended up putting trim tabs on and I just set the port side 2 holes lower and that leveled everything up really nice. I used the hydraulic kind and they work nice.