Stable Fly Bites

Stable Fly Bites

I am allergic to them.... 50% will actually blister then pop and they itch a lot.  Benadryl cream, pills and cortisone cream are only way I can function and this goes on for 3 to 5 days after bites.  I will be wearing thick socks and pants from here on out.  My wife is worried that my allergy could result in anaphylaxis when I am out on the lake.  Stashing a bottle of benadryl in boat at her suggestion just wondering has anyone else had this reaction?  If so how do you treat?  

The only product that I have found that works against these things is Buggspray. You can find it on eBay and amazon. Be sure to order the biting fly formula. I have used it for several years

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just now, chinook35 said:

The only product that I have found that works against these things is Buggspray. You can find it on eBay and amazon. Be sure to order the biting fly formula. I have used it for several years

Thank You, just ordered a bottle.... still going to wear long pants.  It is really odd, when I was fishing on Lake Ontario 6 years ago I dont recall having too much of an issue, certainly not the allergy.... the allergy is a game changer and not for the better, I am miserable.

talk to your doctor and get an epi pen.  allergies like that get worse with more exposures.  If you go into full out anaphylaxis benadryl is not gonna do it and you're a long way from that kind of help

4 hours ago, Paul Czarnecki said:

Thermacell works great on stable flies and the harmless, yet annoying, midges.

My boat is open bow, maybe put it under my console but it seems like the flies know to bite when I am catching or rigging.  After all this itching it is long pants for me no matter the temp

Wow that really sucks, never heard of such a thing from a fly bite! The flies have been horrible this year, I use Avon skin so soft, seems to work good so far at repelling the flies. I really feel sorry for you, good luck!

that reaction is no joke especially to those flys because they typically dont cause any reaction beyond the initial hurt.  I have a similar alergy to a deer fly like bug.  it looks like a deer fly on growth hormone big and black and mean last time I got bit on my toe my whole foot swelled up to the point where I couldnt walk and it got red half way up my lower leg.  i ended up with a patch of sking dying at the bite.  good luck with the bugg spray mine just arrived today this will be my first time trying it last year my brother was convinced he just needed more off so he kept spraying and they were all over him and leaving me mostly alone.  this year he has learned his lesson

that reaction is no joke especially to those flys because they typically dont cause any reaction beyond the initial hurt.  I have a similar alergy to a deer fly like bug.  it looks like a deer fly on growth hormone big and black and mean last time I got bit on my toe my whole foot swelled up to the point where I couldnt walk and it got red half way up my lower leg.  i ended up with a patch of sking dying at the bite.  good luck with the bugg spray mine just arrived today this will be my first time trying it last year my brother was convinced he just needed more off so he kept spraying and they were all over him and leaving me mostly alone.  this year he has learned his lesson

Ouch, people have similar reactions to brown recluse spider bites, sounds terrible. Let me know how spray works.

I agree about taking serious, my wife's a nurse she would lose her mind if I didn't. I will master bite prevention best I can because in my opinion itching constantly is up there with real pain

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I saw a post on here a few years ago and someone said they wash their boat with pine sol. Apparently the bugs don't like it. I keep a spray bottle of it on board but haven't really tested it. Good for cleaning blood off the deck I guess. I usually just use one on my crocs to smash them against a cooler and sweep them up after a hour. Maybe try wearing a buff. I think I would wear shorts and T with a full bug suit if I got that reaction. Bugs couldn't get at you and you wouldn't boil.

It's not pine sol...its listerine.  Put it in a spray bottle diluted a little.  Works for about 10 minutes.  The bugg spray works for a little while and then I keep getting bit.  Thermacell works if it's not windy and covers any area not susceptible to ventilation.  Thick socks and long pants are the only thing that works imo.  I try to mop up any blood and guts asap.  I think the smell draws them in.  And I'll put a few pumps from the listerine mixture down.

I'm not a big fish fan and I DON'T eat anything out of the Great Lakes anyway. Love the fight but you guys can eat them. Any lake that has beaches that are not recommended for swimming due to fecal count should not be use for table fare. I know you can and people due...just my personal Phobia. I'll take a northern walleye shore lunch instead.