Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cabezon99

Stable Fly Bites

Recommended Posts

Stable Fly Bites

I am allergic to them.... 50% will actually blister then pop and they itch a lot.  Benadryl cream, pills and cortisone cream are only way I can function and this goes on for 3 to 5 days after bites.  I will be wearing thick socks and pants from here on out.  My wife is worried that my allergy could result in anaphylaxis when I am out on the lake.  Stashing a bottle of benadryl in boat at her suggestion just wondering has anyone else had this reaction?  If so how do you treat?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only product that I have found that works against these things is Buggspray. You can find it on eBay and amazon. Be sure to order the biting fly formula. I have used it for several years



Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chinook35 said:

The only product that I have found that works against these things is Buggspray. You can find it on eBay and amazon. Be sure to order the biting fly formula. I have used it for several years



Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thank You, just ordered a bottle.... still going to wear long pants.  It is really odd, when I was fishing on Lake Ontario 6 years ago I dont recall having too much of an issue, certainly not the allergy.... the allergy is a game changer and not for the better, I am miserable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you bring someone fishing with you in shorts. Flys won't bother you if they got someone else in short pants to feed on.

 

Seriously, that sucks about the allergy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

talk to your doctor and get an epi pen.  allergies like that get worse with more exposures.  If you go into full out anaphylaxis benadryl is not gonna do it and you're a long way from that kind of help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree ifishy, my wife is a nurse and will not let this go.  Pic is from this afternoon.... still itching bad right now from saturday's bites and deepwoods off is like an attractant.

20170619_094538.thumb.jpg.cc7b423f9c13e4bea4dfeb75117ad5da.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Paul Czarnecki said:

Thermacell works great on stable flies and the harmless, yet annoying, midges.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

My boat is open bow, maybe put it under my console but it seems like the flies know to bite when I am catching or rigging.  After all this itching it is long pants for me no matter the temp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that really sucks, never heard of such a thing from a fly bite! The flies have been horrible this year, I use Avon skin so soft, seems to work good so far at repelling the flies. I really feel sorry for you, good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the biting fly formula is the only thing that works. The long pants and socks will slow them down but they can bite through your clothes. I hate them little buggers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought some on amazon, the biting fly formula.  Thank You all for the suggestions.  I wont be out until Monday and that will be out of the Oak with Reel Excitement... Cant wait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that reaction is no joke especially to those flys because they typically dont cause any reaction beyond the initial hurt.  I have a similar alergy to a deer fly like bug.  it looks like a deer fly on growth hormone big and black and mean last time I got bit on my toe my whole foot swelled up to the point where I couldnt walk and it got red half way up my lower leg.  i ended up with a patch of sking dying at the bite.  good luck with the bugg spray mine just arrived today this will be my first time trying it last year my brother was convinced he just needed more off so he kept spraying and they were all over him and leaving me mostly alone.  this year he has learned his lesson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
that reaction is no joke especially to those flys because they typically dont cause any reaction beyond the initial hurt.  I have a similar alergy to a deer fly like bug.  it looks like a deer fly on growth hormone big and black and mean last time I got bit on my toe my whole foot swelled up to the point where I couldnt walk and it got red half way up my lower leg.  i ended up with a patch of sking dying at the bite.  good luck with the bugg spray mine just arrived today this will be my first time trying it last year my brother was convinced he just needed more off so he kept spraying and they were all over him and leaving me mostly alone.  this year he has learned his lesson


Ouch, people have similar reactions to brown recluse spider bites, sounds terrible. Let me know how spray works.

I agree about taking serious, my wife's a nurse she would lose her mind if I didn't. I will master bite prevention best I can because in my opinion itching constantly is up there with real pain

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a post on here a few years ago and someone said they wash their boat with pine sol. Apparently the bugs don't like it. I keep a spray bottle of it on board but haven't really tested it. Good for cleaning blood off the deck I guess. I usually just use one on my crocs to smash them against a cooler and sweep them up after a hour. Maybe try wearing a buff. I think I would wear shorts and T with a full bug suit if I got that reaction. Bugs couldn't get at you and you wouldn't boil.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pine sol has a chemical that will taint the taste of fish when you eat them. Be careful when using it.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it would make the lake trout edible


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chinook35 said:

Maybe it would make the lake trout edible


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not pine sol...its listerine.  Put it in a spray bottle diluted a little.  Works for about 10 minutes.  The bugg spray works for a little while and then I keep getting bit.  Thermacell works if it's not windy and covers any area not susceptible to ventilation.  Thick socks and long pants are the only thing that works imo.  I try to mop up any blood and guts asap.  I think the smell draws them in.  And I'll put a few pumps from the listerine mixture down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a big fish fan and I DON'T eat anything out of the Great Lakes anyway. Love the fight but you guys can eat them. Any lake that has beaches that are not recommended for swimming due to fecal count should not be use for table fare. I know you can and people due...just my personal Phobia. I'll take a northern walleye shore lunch instead.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...