prepare downriggers for lake fishing

well i made a impulse buy 2 years ago bought 198 thompson 240 ht /5.0 lx and alpha 1 gen 1 and about to launch i want to take up lake ontario for weekend fishing next year 2018 want to set my boat up for downrigging ,figured i ask the experts what setup they are using on lake ontario without breaking the bank ,are manual downriggers ok to get the job done? swim platform and trim tabs are on boat now not in picture also have raymarine dragonfly 4 and lowrance mark pro 5 if it matters

20170615_080928.jpg

20170615_080819 (1).jpg

There is nothing wrong with manual riggers. Advantages are lower cost, higher weight capacity (than some electrics), and better biceps! Make sure the riggers you select have a long enough boom to clear the swim platform. Swivel bases are nice, but not necessary. They can also help with the clearance issue.

Advantages of using auto, when you are reeling in a fish,  you can bring your weight up. Your arm won't be broken at the end of the day. You can use a 15 to 16 lb weight and change out lures freaquently without anything breaking like your arm.

I wouldn't use manual, but that's my choice. You can get electric ones at a good price if you look for second hand ones.

appreciate the advice ,being a beginner to this whole downrigging fun ,i am probably  gonna keep it manual  ,one ,is i need to be able to take off boat for theft reasns, maybe if some one has pictures of their set up and how much it cost to get that equipment i have read and read so much that i am confused on all parts needed ,are planers totally different or should i be using planers  does anybody have list and pictures of their setup so i can copy(lol) whats working up there ,trying to cut my learning curvedown   is everybody using spinners or live bait ?  thank yous

Take a charter to cut down on learning curve not sure what port you will be fishing from but guys on here can refer you to some good captains that can teach you the game and what equipment you will need

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It looks like you have a couple slide in rod holes already.  I'd mount riggers on gimble mounts so you can easily remove them at the end of the day.  You can get dual rod holders on gimble mounts too.  This way you won't have to drill any holes, just utilize whats already there.  Most electric riggers have some sort of extension plugs.  All you would need to do is unplug them and slide them out of the gimble mounts to remove.

I'd opt for used electrics over new manuals for all the reasons listed in the above posts.

in buying used downriggers either electric or manual ,what should i be looking for ? . Is 150 foot cable enough for lake ontario trout salmon fishing ,how big of downrigger do i need ,what size weights do they use on lake O, what size downriggers are people using up there,i have gone on several fishing trips for salmon/trout on lake O, and  Juneau ,Ak,  all my other fishing is all florida fishing so not  to familiar with the downrigger fishing ,and 2 times out on lake O fishing trip ,the captain used planers ,not downriggers,,i think they did not have trolling motor ,not sure ? i just do not want to put 1000"S for downrigger equipment just to find out the downriggers do not work as well as another one might for lake ontario ,like downriggers that can't get down to the fish      probably looking to slip near mexico or oswego,ny

22 hours ago, greenfish said:

well i made a impulse buy 2 years ago bought 198 thompson 240 ht /5.0 lx and alpha 1 gen 1 and about to launch i want to take up lake ontario for weekend fishing next year 2018 want to set my boat up for downrigging ,figured i ask the experts what setup they are using on lake ontario without breaking the bank ,are manual downriggers ok to get the job done? swim platform and trim tabs are on boat now not in picture also have raymarine dragonfly 4 and lowrance mark pro 5 if it matters

20170615_080928.jpg

20170615_080819 (1).jpg

Your boat would be a prime candidate for those gimbal mount downrigger brackets having those rod holders on the corners. if you are just starting down I would invest into 2 used riggers mount them on each corner. You can add a long boom down the middle later once you get the hang of it.

https://www.starmarinedepot.com/big-jon-universal-plate-gimbal-mount-right-hand---30%26deg%3B/pzz37957.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwsqjKBRDtwOSjs6GTgmASJACRbI3fX8VfXDO7zmcQOhW5A-lSm-sIOoTPH5lY1Kj88euYIhoCjKfw_wcB

My boat is setup with manual riggers with 200' of cable. I have only once fished lower than 150' and that was far below the thermocline and normal temps for kings. I love the simplicity of the manuals although I don't like cranking them up 100' when a rod pops fish or not. If going manual look for some older cannons they are dime a dozen and simple to use. Parts are cheap if you need them. If you can get the telescopic boom to get the rigger lines away from the boat as much as possible. I run 3 riggers fixed 4' booms on an 8' beam with no issues I just run the rear rigger high and never had an issue with tangles. Be sure to offset depths on riggers to keep from tangling on turns.

Edited by Chas0218

10 lb weights are the lowest I would go with for riggers. You got good advice on the boom length, 4' is a pretty standard Cannon length and my personal preference. The extendable booms are nice, but the fixed length are fine too. For boom length, all you need to ensure is the end of rigger where the cable goes into the water clears your boat/swim platform (and drive). 

Dipsey's were mentioned, They are an easy / cheaper way to get rods out than riggers. It looks like you already have 3 flush mount rod holders per side. You can run dipsey rods out of the two further forward. A drop in multi mount rod holder is nice, but not necessary. When I started, we didn't have rod holders, so we would wedge our rod buts between the seat and engine dog house!

When I started, we didn't have rod holders, so we would wedge our rod buts between the seat and engine dog house ,thats funny,thanx all ,i am taking all in ,awesome ,what would be the most economical downrigger people are using on lake O,keep in mind i have swim platform on stern ,cool

Cannon and Big Jon are probably the most popular brands followed by Scotty. The Cannon Uni-troll series of manual riggers are a nice rigger to target for entry level. Really rigger brands turns into a Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate as to which is best.

IMG_1735.JPG

You can run Dipsey's on the gimbel but it's a lot easier to run them out in adjustable holders to get them horizontal.

One of my setups. You can run multiply dipsey's out of one side of the boat if u have multiple rod holders. I have bert tracks so I can move rod holders around the boat were I need or want depending on what I'm running.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm still pretty new to the game, but was told by a good friend with experience to run 2 riggers and 2 dipsys to start with and get the hang of it. I think it was a really good tip... I definitely tangled, mishaps and got frustrated just running that much.

Also, depending on the weights you choose and current, you're gonna get some blow back. I've had my 10 lbs weights out 175-185 for lakers before. So definitely 200' of wire. I just respooled one rigger with 300' so I can snip a reterminate if I get a fray or pigtail. Got some 13 lbs weights for this season, I have manual Penn riggers on my boat so hopefully I won't have to put them out that far and crank em back in again! Penn riggers have a mounting plate they slide on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just a suggestion: Instead of buying NEW look for used ones here on LOU since you are unsure of what you actually want/need. Consider using what you already have for mounts and go wihth the gimbal mounts that fit in the recessed holes you already have. See if any Cannon mag 10's with extendable booms are available. They will be relatively inexpensive but durable although slow to bring up your weights (which I consider an advantage as I rig things while it is coming up). Stick with 10 lb weights on them so the motors aren't stressed as they are the recommended max weight. Get the swivel mounts for them...comes in handy docking etc. If you decide you don't like the electric downriggers you could always deal for some manuals on here with someone moving up to electrics.Here is a pic of my setup that I have used for 15 years without problem (three of them). Pictured is the gimbal, swivel base and downrigger. I have plug ins that any marina should be able to provide you with for the electrical connection. Get 4 of them installed near your recessed holders and then you can switch positions as desired. You can also get another set of gimbals and set up Berts tracks on them and locate rod holders for dipseys etc. on them and likewise can reposition them anywhere in the four holes.

downriggermount.jpg

Edited by Sk8man