Cayuga, pretty quiet

Was out on Saturday up in the Long Point area. Only saw a few boats out fishing and the radio was pretty quiet. DEC was out checking boats but that shouldn't have taken vary long cause there wasn't that many up were I was. He stopped by around 1PM just to make sure I was behaving myself and moved on. :roll:

Fished the East side for awhile and then moved to the West shore to look for some of those silver fish. My spoon program needs a little fine tuning but it does get me a few fish early in the day but when my fly stuff kicks in and woops the snot out of the spoons. Once the spoons cool off for awhile I change to a dodger/fly and that station starts paying the rent. Must be the way I fish I guess.

The last couple weeks I worked closer to the shore line at first light in the 40' to 100' bottom, down only 30-40' & cheatin'. Can usually grab a couple bow's & browns and move out as the morning wears on. The better lakers have been coming over the deep water down 70' to 90'. My best spoon is in the 3" size, black- w/wht or sliver. Fly combo has been either white or greenish stuff.

Really don't know what else to say. Thought I'd post something just to get the dialog started again. With the fishing as good as it has been I thought we hear more from the members :? .

Was out early Sat morning west side N of Taughannock (across from AES). Lakers were hitting better than they have in a few weeks for me. There were a good number of jiggers out, a few downriggers, me doing dipsys and the best of all...an older gent pulling copper with a manual rig in a 12 to 14 footer.

Using glow spoon/ glow dodger was working. Dirty White Boy and Alwive were not. Never got to try silver...my usual best.

58Johnson

aV21bXy9.jpg

steady action on white smartfish/green fly on wire dipsy 190' out,240+FOW for Lakers , AES to long point and back down from Sheldrake to Rocky Dock, fish ranging from 26-33", smoker full, grill full , life is good! Trying to figure out how to target browns and the bow/LL combo- any good ideas appreciated.

58 Johnson, did you have the dog on board? I think we hauled our boats out at the same time @ Meyers, just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the board. I have the little Alumacraft with a grey bimini.

Chowder,

That was me with the white dog. Thanks for the welcome.

I really enjoyed Sat. I replaced my fuel lines earlier and made one a little too long and it kinked in an out of the way place. Even rough running on the way in couldn't mess up that day!

I'll probably be the one asking you for advice...I'm pretty green at deep water.

Some info on the LL and browns. A topo map (fishing hot spots) recommends the two deep water runs Frontenac Point N to AES, and the Atwaters to Sheldrake run. Both are over the 400 ft water. They say;

These long narrow strips over deep water seem to hold most of the LL from mid summer through early fall. Look for them ABOVE the thermocline sometimes only 30-50 ft down. Fast troll spoons. Lots of Rainbows will take these same lures.

I know its a "fishing map" (sigh) but the info it has has been pretty accurate for me.

58Johnson

What are peoples thoughts on speed, I hate to beat a dead horse, but I am wondering if one reason we are not getting many browns,bows or LLs is that I have been running 1.8-2.0@ the ball/2.3-2.45 surface. This seems to snag lakers on the wire dipsy w/ flasher+fly combo almost one after another but I am hearing that I need to speed up to interest the other fish. What do you think?

Do you guys tend to go primarily with the down speed? I have a Fish Hawk 840 (I know, I should have gotten the depth raider) and down speed flutuates quite a bit, also sometimes down speed just seems unbelievable- how can I be at 2.0 down w/ a surface speed of 2.8, are the currents + side slip really enough to do this? I am guessing that I should believe down speed over all else, but if I am at 2.0 @60' down what speed are my baits @30, or doesn't that matter?

We sped up yesterday& got some nice rainbows. Had 2 real good ones on,1 on cheater/1 on main, that kept coming out of the water and finally 1 was on one side of the wire dipsy line & one on the other- lost both(heartbreaking, but I suppose thats why I like it!) Also lost a fine laker that parted the leader between Dipsy/ Spindctr, when I inspected this 20# FC it was very twisted feeling so I replaced the other one as well- is this common? I concentrated a lot on watching down speed and I have to say I am as confused as ever.Heading N, into the wind down speed seemed to lag behind surface, but heading S on west side down speed seemed at times to be almost even with surface- are there some rules of thumb for down speed as it relates to surface? I find myself distrusting the numbers. All in all a wonderful day on the water, today I will smoke the Lakers & Bows between chores.

Nice going Chowder. There is no rule of thumb with those speeds. It depends on the wind and currents and what they are doing that particular day. Trust the probe.

Rig your flies with 40 or 50 lb floro, then that won't happen to you.

Split, I'm going to get in the derby, even if I don't fish, to me its a very worthy cause, me being a musician and everything! lol

RR

Chowder says > "a fine laker that parted the leader between Dipsy/ Spindctr, when I inspected this 20# FC it was very twisted feeling so I replaced the other one as well- is this common? "

I use Berkley Fire Line for my leader from the dipsey to the dodger/flasher/spoon/plug in the 20# range. Vary strong and abbrasive resistant and doesn't seem to spook the fish. I use this same leader for pulling plugs at Oneida. Again, doesn't spook walleyes, or at least the ones that I catch. Florocarbon line isn't the greatest line to use were high shock & abraision are present. Save it for your cheaters.

Check your swivels. If the line is twisting then the swivels are not doing what they are supposed to.

Stinger, thanks for the advice. The swivels are the heavy duty Spro with the coastal lock, spindctrs come with this unit. I did just reread Keating's suggestions on rigging flashers in general and I noticed he made a point about the fact that any flasher will twist and stress the line in front of it and that sometimes you can have a break off there even without a fish on if you use less than 20#. I will try the Fireline, will 30# turn away fish? I have noticed that a longer leader between dipsy/flasher seems to trigger more strikes.

I think your safe to use any 20lb super/braded line as leader on the Fingers. Most 20lb super lines are about 10lb dia. Just be sure to use a leader rated less than your main line. I also use the snubber made by Opti which has premium swivels and attaches to the dipsey end of the leader. If you don't like snubbers then change the swivel on the dipsey. If your getting line twist when using the good stuff then check to see if there may be something hindering the swivel (ie. fleas)

My leader lenght from dip to flash is about 6'.

I use a-tom-mic's clear snubber, this snubber has a swivel in it and there is one in front of the flasher. A 6' leader would make landing fish easier, I have been using 8'+, maybe this is overkill?