Mono for pike

If you are trolling I'd recommend 40 lb braid.  It's diameter matches dive curve info and it will handle any pike.  Mono doesn't work well trolling as the line diameter is an issue getting lures to dive to your desired depth.  I'd use 20 lb braid for spinning and the same 40 on a baitcaster.  Run a heavy flouro leader or steel and you are all set.  If you are bass fishing as well you can go lighter but still use a decent flouro leader like 20lb minimum.

If you are trolling I'd recommend 40 lb braid.  It's diameter matches dive curve info and it will handle any pike.  Mono doesn't work well trolling as the line diameter is an issue getting lures to dive to your desired depth.  I'd use 20 lb braid for spinning and the same 40 on a baitcaster.  Run a heavy flouro leader or steel and you are all set.  If you are bass fishing as well you can go lighter but still use a decent flouro leader like 20lb minimum.

What about a heavy mono leader

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have never used a leader for pike, and I've never had one bite me off. I can see using a heavier floro leader as it is abrasion resistant and relatively invisible, but 80 lb is big time overkill

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

When I use 8 lp fluorocarbon fishing for smallmouth and pile simultaneously, I'd say I lose 1/2 the pike due to bite offs (No leader). When I use 60 lp fluorocarbon leader to 30 lb main line braid, I 've never had a bite off, but this is when I target primarily pike. I'd say if you want to stick with strait mono and not use a leader 30 to 40 lp would suffice.

Edited by NPike

Main Line

Heavy mono is tough to cast and will not allow you to get your lures very deep because of the resistance due to diameter and it floats which also hinders ability to get lure depth. Also, the more line you have out, the more belly there will be in the line which will add to the give of the inherent line stretch to reduce your hook setting power. Pike and musky have a bony mouth so you need all the hook setting power you can get. Braid has very little stretch and due to the smaller diameter per lb test, there will be less belly in the line so you will have much greater hook setting power. So the best choice for your main line is braid. If you do decide to use mono for your main line for pike, it would be best to not go too heavy and use a leader. This may depend on what lures and depth you are fishing.

Leader

Fluorocarbon or steel is debatable. One argument is that you will get bite-offs with fluorocarbon. It is definitely not as cut and abrasion resistant as steel, so if you use it you need to check for damage often and especially after a fish or contact with structure. Any damage from contact with structure will weaken the line so it can break easier. So if you are fishing in a way where you are often contacting structure, you might be better off using steel. I like to use single strand steel. You can do a haywire twist to terminate it. Stranded wire can become frayed and crimps used to terminate it can fail. So if you use it, you need to periodically inspect it for damage. If you use single strand wire, it should be replaced if you get a tight kink.

Pike and musky are not as line shy as many other kinds of fish. So, often, steel does not cause them to shy away but under some conditions it can be a factor. Using non-coated stranded wire will be less visible than coated. Using single stranded steel will be less visible than both, it is less sensitive to abrasion and being able to terminate it with a haywire twist is more secure. Under some conditions fluorocarbon may be needed to minimize visibility. I haven't used it much because I don't want to take a chance on killing a musky by leaving a lure in its mouth. So some anglers here can give more advice about it in terms of what lb test, what brands (not all are equal), and how to terminate it.

Edited by muskiedreams