Maple Syrup on grilled lake trout

Last week I tried maple syrup on grilled lake trout, after a friend suggested it. The lake trout were caught that same day and we filleted them, skin on. Aluminum foil over the grill and placed the fillets skin side down. Grilled on medium high with melted butter, salt, and poured maple syrup over each fillet. We harvested the syrup from our own trees this year. It was really good. My four daughters loved it....my wife not so much. She likes her fish cooked dry. IMG_4505.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I grill my Finger Lakes lakers after marinating them in Lemon Garlicious marinade I buy at Tops. I have yet to hear anyone say they did not like them and some say they taste great. I put them on ice in a cooler as soon as I catch them and gut them before I leave the lake. I try to eat them within two to three days after i catch them. If I freeze them I eat them within 3 weeks. Just my experience.

That sounds good (the lemon marinade). I will have to try that. We fished in remote northern Ontario for years and were spoiled eating the natural Lakers there....meat is almost red. We would fry them as well as quarter them, boil the quarters in salt water, then dip the meat in melted butter. Yes, I agree, taking care in making sure they are fresh helps a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

i am with your wife , there isn't a good way to cook lake trout .. the maple syrup sounds good over fish like  LL 

"No good way to cook Lake Trout", funny one, maybe those Nuked lake O lakers, but the Lakers from Superior are fabulous. Could cook it right along salmon, and you wouldn't know the difference, that I guarantee.......

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, Smoke-N-Finn said:

"No good way to cook Lake Trout", funny one, maybe those Nuked lake O lakers, but the Lakers from Superior are fabulous. Could cook it right along salmon, and you wouldn't know the difference, that I guarantee.......

:puke: they said the same thing about the finger lakes lake trout . maybe that is how lake Superior got it name ,the lake trout are the best tasting fish in the Great Lakes . :lol:

Edited by fisherdude

:puke: they said the same thing about the finger lakes lake trout . maybe that is how lake Superior got it name ,the lake trout are the best tasting fish in the Great Lakes . [emoji38]

Or maybe you just have no clue. [emoji3]
If they saw you putting Lakers in your garden here they would string ya up.
But I guess stupid, is stupid know matter where you live.

I fillet them ,brine in salt brown sugar maple syrup and apple butter that I make ,couple of bay leaves , then smoke over apple and apricot wood , fantastic

I have posted my recipe on this forum before , but here goes . I grill my lake trout on a cedar plank . When the fish turns flakey I remove from the grill and throw the laker away and eat the plank 

I fillet them ,brine in salt brown sugar maple syrup and apple butter that I make ,couple of bay leaves , then smoke over apple and apricot wood , fantastic

I pretty much do the same thing. I experimented with a lake trout smoked next to my salmon and when they were done, I almost puked out the laker. I understand some people like them, but man I don't.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

• Like 2

I like them smoked, but you could smoke your  socks and drawers and they would taste good.
.. Other than that they are inconsistent.. Some are less nasty than others, and here and there, i get one i actually almost enjoy.. They are NOT my favorite fish to eat, but i make sure i eat whatever i kill, so some go home..
 People HATE bluefish, as they are strong and gamey.. However after decades of eating  lakers from  fresh water and blues from salt, I can say for certain that lake trout are stronger gamier and nastier than even a bluefish...  Thats saying something.. If I  could consistently catch good size panfish  year round, i would take  no lake trout home, unless they were bleeding bad.. Some aren't too bad eating , but the really bad ones are just plain awful... bob

I'll only take lake trout from one lake if I'm going to eat them the rest of the lakes i put them right back in. For some reason whether it's the cleaner water or what I don't know Cayugas lake trout are The only ones I will eat

• 2 years later...

I used to have a hard time enjoying lakers but we use to freeze them for an extended time and man does that make them  strong , we found if you cut most of the dark meat out and eat them fresh there as good as many other fish . If your really laker shy cut them in 2 '' squares and deep fry or pan fry with a good seasoned coating !! Now I'm wanting a laker for supper !!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I find you have to take the blood line out, cut the skin off, all fat and discolored meat off them.  Should only have the flesh that you want to eat when you cook them.  I eat a lot of them out of Canandaigua.  I smoke them and also cook them on the grill.   2 cups  brown sugar, 2 cups water 2 cups salt for smoke brine, and salt pepper butter garlic on the grill.