Maple Syrup on grilled lake trout

Don't know ... tried it once ... don't think I'll try them again.

Maple syrup on rainbow or chinook on the other hand ... yummy!  I always cook them that way ... put fish on a cedar plank and cook with a marinade.

I actually let the fillets soak in white wine, maple syrup, balsamic, garlic and some spices for around 4h to 8h in a zip lock bag, then I cook them on the plank. I keep pouring

the excess marinade onto the fillet as they cook.  Then I might drizzle some maple syrup right onto the cooked fish and let it glaze on last 1 minute.  It's exceptional.

• 1 year later...

I took 5 Lakers, fileted them and completely covered them in salt for 24 hours. Washed the salt off and smoked them for 2-3 hours until the filets hit 150 degrees. Came out Absolutely fantastic, people who did not even like fish at all said they were great, and even took a filet home with them. Highly recommend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

In addition to icing the fish right away, and eating them fresh - bleeding the fish when you put them in the cooler makes a significant difference in the overall palatability of Lake Trout (and most fish, for that matter).

• Like 1