Using Dipsey's off your downriggers

Can you use Dipsey's off of a downrigger? I currently have manual downrigger's therefore cranking them up and down all day from 80 to 100 feet becomes a pain in the butt and would not want to do that all day at 150 to 200 feet. Therefore was thinking about running a dipsey down the additional distance. If I am using a wire dipsey how would the deployment go and how would you connected to the release at the downrigger balls? Any thoughts or suggestions besides buying electric downrigger's. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fish, I'm not an expert on it but remember trying it back in the day. Called them down and outs. Somewhat a stealth move. Ran the small size dipseys off the side down riggers with the down rigger pole not a dipsey pole. So monofilament was the line that was connected to them. If your looking at doing it though just to get to deeper depths I would get the electrics lol.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I say try it and if it works please post it to this site.  I spent 15 or so years with plexiglass hand crank riggers made by my father, 6 of those years on Ontario.  Have cannon mag 10s now..... IMOP rigging for dipsy (snubber, swivels etc) is similar in effort/time than cranking a rigger but to be clear I have never tried combining them.  Attaching a dipsy diver to a downrigger release, even a chamberlain seems to me to be problematic.  I have however heard of people using leadcore, copper etc with dipsy.  There is something to be said for hand cranked riggers as they dont come up or down too fast and you never have to depend on a sensor and or clutch setting.  

My opinion is use the riggers as part of a spread (lots of folks using the word program) in concert with dipsy divers and or weighted lines etc.  Best of luck

You would need an Aftco Roller release to attach to the terminal swivel of your downrigger.  Deploy your dipsy, clip your dipsy wire or braid into the roller release and send down the downrigger.  With the roller release you can  release more line out or reel more in, as it is a pulley.  You can definitely get deeper and even keep track of how deep.  For example, you let out 300' of wire with a mag dipsy (now running 105' down), you clipped the dipsy line  into downrigger release and sent it down another 50'.  Once down, you would let out an additional 50' of dipsy line to compensate for the line taken up by the downrigger drop and voila......you are cruising at 155' of depth.  I don't think this will result in less work as you not only have to crank in your downrigger, but also a dipsy.  It will allow you to reach depths thought to be unachievable.

On 6/22/2017 at 10:37 PM, Fishbowl836 said:

Can you use Dipsey's off of a downrigger? I currently have manual downrigger's therefore cranking them up and down all day from 80 to 100 feet becomes a pain in the butt and would not want to do that all day at 150 to 200 feet. Therefore was thinking about running a dipsey down the additional distance. If I am using a wire dipsey how would the deployment go and how would you connected to the release at the downrigger balls? Any thoughts or suggestions besides buying electric downrigger's. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Why do you want to get to 150 to 200? You fishing the Finger Lakes? Just curious, as you don't need to get those deeps on Lake O very often....

This time of year we are usually fishing out in the middle over deep water. Quite offend I will find large marks on the screen down around 150 feet or deeper. My assumption is these could be good fish suspended in very cold water. Lone wolfs if you would. Who knows they maybe small salmon or something else. Just curious as to what they could be. More then likely they are Lake Trout. Other then that you are correct generally don't fish below 75 - 100 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

More likely those are kings. June is called the "transition" for good reason. Bait is coming ashore to spawn pulling predators with them. Meanwhile some bait is still in winter deep pattern so you are likely to still see those 150'-225' bait and salmon marks for the rest of the month.   Once the bait hits the shore and completes spawning it will move out into the lake in their preferred temp range. July makes for easier fishing because of stratification of lake temps makes targeting easier plus alewives are out of their deep cycle pulling predators with them. Those deep marks are hard to target. I might dedicate one rod to chasing deep so my boat mates don't fall asleep from boredom. 

Fishbow1836

When I ran that setup I ran the smaller Dipsy and a Romer release about 10ft. above the ball,and the main line off the ball. If you want to go real deep set your Dipsy on one or 0 and let out 200 or300ft. of wire,hook to the romer release and lower the ball to the depth you want and go from there. Good luck, I did well like that.

10 minutes ago, W.W.IV. said:

Fishbow1836

When I ran that setup I ran the smaller Dipsy and a Romer release about 10ft. above the ball,and the main line off the ball. If you want to go real deep set your Dipsy on one or 0 and let out 200 or300ft. of wire,hook to the romer release and lower the ball to the depth you want and go from there. Good luck, I did well like that.

Use large Dipsy for the deep setup. :).

Edited by W.W.IV.
Make correction.

• 1 month later...