Leader length

Leader length

We're not having much luck with spin doctor or flasher fly combos this year so far. Wondering what length leader most people are using. I'm usually between 18 and 24. Also how far off the ball are you running them?

Leader length depends on your trolling speed.  An 18 is going to run better at a slower speed than a 24.  I tend to troll about 2.5-2.8 sog.  And most of my rigs are tied with a flasher length about 22-25.  This week I was running them 15 ft behind the ball.

I run my Spin Drs with 18-22" leads and for Echip paddles I run longer leads of 22-25". As far as leads off the ball I always start with my standard 12-15' and let the fish tell me. If I am getting a lot of streakers but no takers I will adjust one longer and shorten one up and see what works that particular day

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

To expand on the original question, what leader lengths are you using when running a cut bait head behind an 8" Spin Doctor or Echip?

-Steve D

For my particular setup I run anywhere from 24-32" for plain cut bait heads. If I am using teasers I will stretch it from 32-40".

I use the same rule as my fly program. Shorter lengths for Spin DRs and longer for Paddles

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Spin Dr's are very speed forgiving. Dodgers etc much less so.

Fly 24 inches ish behind the spin Dr.

10 to 12 feet ish behind the ball or dipsy (sliding).

Within reason, how and where you run > what you run.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks, guys. Running cut bait behind the finned 8" attractors is a new thing for me. I'm used to running the old school Oki flashers that don't have a fin. You have to go a lot slower with them because they make such a big circle in the water. 2.0-2.2 on the Fishhawk usually works for me. For those flashers I usually run about 4x the size of the flasher: 32" leader for the 8" Lil Shooter flasher, and maybe 44" for the 11" Big Shooter. But I like the idea of being able to mix some cut bait into my spread at a higher speed along with my flasher/flies. Appreciate the info...8-]

-Steve D

Thanks, guys. Running cut bait behind the finned 8" attractors is a new thing for me. I'm used to running the old school Oki flashers that don't have a fin. You have to go a lot slower with them because they make such a big circle in the water. 2.0-2.2 on the Fishhawk usually works for me. For those flashers I usually run about 4x the size of the flasher: 32" leader for the 8" Lil Shooter flasher, and maybe 44" for the 11" Big Shooter. But I like the idea of being able to mix some cut bait into my spread at a higher speed along with my flasher/flies. Appreciate the info...8-]

-Steve D

One good thing about running them with spin Drs and Small paddles is you can run shorter leads off riggers. I've run as short as 10' with very good success. My starting point is always +\- 15' with these and adjust from there.

On a "meat bite" day these are deadly off your Dipsies.

'Bout Time
Mike

Hi guys, I bought pre riged meat rig with three teasers and the meat head last winter. They're 57 inches long with the bead chain. Must be riged for large paddle only? I've only 8 inches SD and Pro-troll. I'm wondering if it will work anyway and if not witch modifications should I make to them. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Crestliner1850 said:

Hi guys, I bought pre riged meat rig with three teasers and the meat head last winter. They're 57 inches long with the bead chain. Must be riged for large paddle only? I've only 8 inches SD and Pro-troll. I'm wondering if it will work anyway and if not witch modifications should I make to them. Thanks. 

they are generally meant to be used for larger flashers. you can use them with 8" and still have success.

One thing I do on some is I cut the lead just after the teasers and install either a barrel swivel or a snap on the end. I also install a snap on the tag end of the meat head. This gives me the option of running teasers with the meat head or just removing the teasers and run the meat head directly to the paddle. I can also change the meat head color anytime I want and use the same teasers

meat.jpg

Edited by bout time

That's a great idea having the teasers as an option. And having that extra swivel in the rig probably helps the meat head rotate easier.Good stuff!

-Steve D

Edited by Valinote
Extra word...

4 hours ago, bout time said:

they are generally meant to be used for larger flashers. you can use them with 8" and still have success.

One thing I do on some is I cut the lead just after the teasers and install either a barrel swivel or a snap on the end. I also install a snap on the tag end of the meat head. This gives me the option of running teasers with the meat head or just removing the teasers and run the meat head directly to the paddle. I can also change the meat head color anytime I want and use the same teasers

meat.jpg

Thanks for sharing Mike!