Cayuga - jigging

Where were you fishing? We've been doing well from the power plant all the way to Aurora east and west sides depending on the day.

it has been much slower in the southern parts of the lake for us.

i prefer to use paddle tails as opposed to flukes.

we fished yesterday out of long point 6am-11:30am boated 6 with a nice fat 11.6 in the mix. 

Good of luck if you make it back out...

Got  2   jigging around  Long Point  one day  last week, and a nice perch as well on a small jig in shallow water.. Other guys I saw jigging  out there did roughly the same, 5 fish for 3 guys.. It has been a bit slow for me personally, but I haven't been skunked yet... I dunno a few years ago, I could sometimes do at least almost respectable numbers compared to some mediocre  trollers, but lately most trollers are  out catching me by at least 5, and  probably closer to 10 to 1.... I am just not getting the numbers, getting the hits and follows, or seeing the life out there I am used to..

I have not been seeing big numbers of fish or   lots of bait thus far on my trips to cayuga.. The boat I have been using is my 14 footer, and it doesn't have a top end color FF on it, just a cheaper Lowrance  X4 Pro B&W unit  with 250 watts.. The units I have on my other 2 boats, a 15 foot open skiff and an 18 Starcraft [all old junkers] have much better 500 watt Garmin color units.. Next trip I plan on using one of my  old tubs that has a good FF on it.. Judging by my  mediocre  numbers thus far this year, I am  either  not fishing where the bait and fish are, or I just plain suck... or both!.. In any case, I   should be doing better.. I  suppose i feel a bit better knowing that  some others that jig aren't mopping up either.  I will bet there are a few that are however...bob

Edited by bulletbob

I am blind jigging. My uncle is letting me use his boat because he is in rehab from a stroke. He has an old Ultra sounder on his boat but I don't think it shows bait or fish just the depth. It looks just like a flasher for ice fishing but only one color.

Bait is still in shallow. I been snagging them casting the shore line... Caught more alewives then I have bass this year... Can't seem to find the small mouth... Large mouth is one my least favorite to eat. Small mouth is closer to perch...

Lakers are fun on spinning rods tho

Sent from my VS425PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Blind jigging??.. Yikes.. Thats a tough one!,,, You need a good FF, unless you get lucky I suppose.. Lots of times you will see nothing on bottom, but then see your jig dropping[a thin line going from surface to the bottom on the screen], and then a big thick line that intersects with the line on the screen  from the jig.. Thats shows that there are lakers on bottom, even though there is no bait around.. If you are  catching any lakers at all fishing blind, you deserve a lot of credit.. thats tough fishing for most, unless one is VERY  familiar with the area he  is fishing.. If you want SMB, you might want to try Skaneateles or Keuka.. Cayuga has had a few big die offs of SMB as has Seneca, and they are depleted pretty badly.. Its been years since I have caught a good size SMB or even a  good size rock bass[ they died off with the SMB], and I used to catch them by the dozen every trip.. No more, the numbers are way down, and I no longer even try cayuga for SMB... bob

Jigging is definitely more effective with a decent FF, you don't have to get something too fancy though, I've had great luck with the lower end lowrance units - elite 4x chirp, hook 4x, Garmin Striker 4 etc.  For 120-150 bucks they work really well in my opinion.

That being said, on certain days after watching fish chase on the FF and not hit for a few hours.  We've had luck out of frustration casting jigs out a long ways and "blindly" bouncing them along the bottom back to the boat.

I've never had much issue with line twist using braid/flouro... I use 30lb braid with 12' of seaguar invis x 15lb

I have had serious issues using smaller jigs and mono for salmon, browns, bows  - I tie a barrel swivel 2 or 3' up to avoid line twist.  

Notsure why it is worse with the mono as opposed to braid.