Conesus Tiger Muskie

Nice fish!  Try 15-20 down with alewife patterns for the eyes even if you are marking them deeper.  Did you find any schools of bait that were broke up with fish on them?  My best eyes, tigers, and SMB come from that scenario in summer.  

Thanks! We had 6 rods on the planer boards with deep Jr thundersticks and Berkley flicker minnows, all in blue, purple, or black/silver. 7cm purple flicker minnow took a big smallmouth. Got a 40" pike on a blue 9cm flicker minnow. Marked a lot of bait suspended around 15' down over 30-36fow but still no eyes. Had one worm harness on a downrigger near bottom,  and the Sutton 44 at various depths. Also ran 2 leadcores with a worm harness. Sounds like I just need to spend more time on the water. 

Flicker minnows are great but try the 11.  Slick blue alewife and slick alewife are good.  Put away the spoon and harnesses as the they want much slower speeds.... run 2 - 2.2.  Deep hjs are great as well.   The smaller sizes work well at night.   Troll just outside the weeds.

There are some big tigers (> 20 pounds and big walleye > 10 pounds) on Conesus. However pike and even more so bass are more common. For walleye try trolling Husky Jerks, Tail Dancers or Challenger's at 20 to 35 feet down. Or even better fish at night trolling floating Rapala's (long line).

Good luck

If you are fishing mid day in clear weather, good luck..  I have my best Walleye fishing in very low light conditions.. I know they can be caught during the day, but personally I would  fishing hard at false dawn and fish till maybe 10, or i would start at 6 PM into the night hours, ... I have never had a lot of luck with them during the day.. Some guys do  I guess , but not me, and I have been fishing for them for 26 years.   The bite window on Walleyes can be amazingly short.. Not long ago, I caught 9 keeper size walleyes standing  on the same rock between 6 and 7 am, was getting hits, hookups, left and right.. They shut off like a light switch at 7:15, and not another hit.. Next day, caught 5 from about 6 to 6:45, and then again, shut off completely.. Try putting some time in before first light, and after dark...bob

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:37 PM, kramer93 said:

Tiger Muskie

Caught this yesterday on Conesus. 25' down, Sutton 44, 2.2mph. 8.8 lbs, 37 inches. Pretty beat up tail, but it fought fine. Still can't seem to find a walleye in this lake. 

30767.jpeg

BTW are you sure it's only 8 lp's? A 37" tiger usually goes closer to 10 or even 12 on Conesus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got out tp Conesus finally. Fished Monday and Tuesday morning. Had to work for em, but got some decent fish. 34" Tiger very fat guess at 12 pounds easy. 32" pike also a chuncker and a 28" pike. Missed a couple so all in all the somewhat usual take for casting on Conesus.  No pictures don't take them when I fish alone.

Edited by NPike