My expierence this weekend

My expierence this weekend

My son and his wife just bought their first house located north of Philadelphia so my wife and I went down this weekend to check it out. We stopped at an outlet mall on the way down so she could shop QVC and I picked Hamburg for a visit to the world famous outfitter as I still have a gift certificate. My first stop was to see if I could replenish some trolling spoons that somehow made it to the bottoms of several Finger Lakes. After searching around a bit I found the mostly empty wall display of what I was after, Dream Weavers, Silver Streaks and the like, virtually no selection so I grabbed a couple and went off looking for the wife - bargain cave of course - I didn't see anything interesting in there so I thought I look for a new t-shirt. Thats when I noticed carts lined up in the middle of the store, people waiting to cash out. I personally believe a customer should get some kind of service at a retail store so I put my stuff down, grabbed the wife and left - supposed to be a destination but what a fiasco it was today.

Minimum wage part time employees are tough to hold onto a job especially if their main interests are fishing and hunting. The big box stores have catalogues and web sites where all their items are available. Some companies have 600,000 items in stock but their outlet stores will only carry 150,000 items to satisfy local demands. Check out the websites for your wishes, save shipping charges by picking them up at your store or save your gasoline and drive time by having them shipped direct to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Welcome to our world Vince, that Cabela's store sucks!! I live 45 mins. away, and have been disappointed so many times I don't go there anymore!! At one time that's all I wanted for Father's Day and Christmas, was gift certificates, it took me almost 2 years to spend my gift certificates because they never have what I want. I ****ed to the fishing dept. manager he told me they only carry 1/3 of what's in the catalog!! WTFOver, they didn't have size 10-8 Spro swivels, no,#2 duo locks, no #2 red octopus hooks, this shyt hole might as well burn down!! Plus there're not cheap, as far as trolling gear :no:. I'll drive 4 hrs. Into the mom & pop shops in NY. get waited on with respect, and if they don't have what you want they will refer you to their competition just to keep you happy, with no lines to wait in. I've bought more items off of here and your neck of the woods tackle shops. 1 other thing I noticed being up in the lake area shops, they carry what works, which might be off the wall for big box stores? A lot of the items that the shops around the lake is custom made!! Just off the the top of my head I think of Brian with his laker rigs, the rigger weights that the guys make. You guys don't know how lucky you really are, the lure makers, ect. Ect. I think you got a good tast of the Bullshyt the ordinary angler gets. Outside your world that all you lucky locals get to experience. I feel your pain Vince but you can aske any of the sellers on here and the winter seminars that are held on the east coast, I'm there. This year if I have to go myself I'll be at the big one on the west side. Thanks for posting that, now maybe others will believe me about Cabela's has nothing store:headbang:

I've had similar experiences. It's really bad when you walk into one of those stores, really excited to pick up your favorite lures that you've been researching and thinking about for weeks, only to find out they don't have them and/or they have no idea what you are talking about.

Big box store buyers spend little time in the area and are unfamiliar with our wants. What they buy is for a nation wide market and local popular lures usually disappear quickly. USA manufacturers are unable to fill the huge orders and have to ship their production to low wage and low tax areas like China. But high ticket items are there for you like rods, reels, fishing line, electronics, etc. checkout lines are generally fine except when sales like door busters or grand opening days occur. By the way fishing tackle is only about 12 per cent of store sales. Clothing is fifty per cent of the store sales. Men are attracted there but the women are the big spenders. This is what the real world is about.

I was in DC reviewing grants a couple weeks ago near Georgetown University and I stopped by the Whole Foods store for a quick bite the Sunday evening I arrived. The lines had, at a minimum, 30-40 people waiting to pay. To heck with that! I walked around the block and found a Trader Joe's. Guess what...even worse. There was only one line leading to several cashiers, and the line snaked ALL THE WAY around the outer perimeter of the store and back on itself. Yeah, there were people lined up near the registers who had a long walk to look forward to before they'd see the registers again.

If there was a disaster and folks were stocking up on stuff I'd understand, but it was just normal weekend shopping in DC. In this case, I don't think that it was a lack of service but just the sheer number of customers. There's many, many good reasons I don't live down there. 

I've never visited the Hamburg, Pa location so can't comment on that.  I do make a few trips a year to BPS in Auburn and Cabelas in Buffalo and when I'm in Washington I hit Lacey Cabelas and BPS in Tacoma.  My experience in those stores, is that they keep them clean/stocked and staffed.  Even during holidays they've had registers open to keep lines down.  That being said I buy mainly sale items in clothing and shop Bargain Cave-I find their everyday prices pretty high.  For trolling gear and tackle I buy most everything closer to home.  They don't do a good job on regional items like spoons.  I'll look at what they have to see if anything different but rarely buy to much in lures or tackle.  In the bigger stores on the west coast I've gotten some good deals on display reels in the Bargain Cave.  Other than that shop local.

Was in Cabelas Buffalo today in and out no line but it's not a place to shop for Lake Ontario fishing supplies and in comparison to other Cabelas stores it's and alewife not a salmon. Rather they had not put one in NY now on top of shipping you pay sales tax,I usually buy else where on line now....They had some reloading supplies I needed so not a wasted venture

The Hamburg Cabela's is always  slow on check out. Twice I did the same as Adm. Byrd and left my stuff and walked. If some of my suppliers wouldn't give me gift cards I probably wouldn't shop there. Although they did have the best price on the Ruger I bought last spring. I was there Sunday and they only had 5 registers open and fifty people in line. I had to wait because my son needed  some stuff.