32 # King, Mexico 8-10 Aug

Friday was a miserable day, T-storms and waterspouts colluded to keep us off the water. Only got lines in the water for 2-3 hours. Saw 4 waterspout off Oswego about a mile from us. We pulled gear and ran into the Harbor and tied up at Wrights, made sandwiches and tended to some gear problems. Let the black clouds pass. 1 small 12" king on a greasy wing on a slide diver. 5# brown on a Stinger copper back glow gobi behind a 4/0 copper/silver dodger. Had another copper back glow gobi stolen off a cheater; never saw the hit and it didn't release.

Saturday trolled all over from Oswego to the Nuke plant area from 90 feet to 500. Saw lots of marks but the only rod that fired was a 10" smallmouth.

Sunday we started off Alcan and Oswego, 90 to 300 feet and again lots of marks but no hits. Made a big move to the Dunes and started seeing marks in 150. Put gear down, 1/2 set for browns and 1/2 set for kings. First hit was a 6# brown on a chartreuse/mtn dew/glow white Spin Dr pulling a Glow Hammer. My wife knocked it of the hook with the net.

About 2 hours later, all h*ll broke loose. In about an hour and half, we had 5 salmon hits. Started with a small Coho off a DR on a killer dolphin. Didn't get the rod back down before the thumper fired on a major king. Battled with it for 15 minutes and several nice runs before it dropped the hook. This came on a green trashcan pulling a pro am fly. Before I could reset the thumper (the other rigger still out), a wire dipsy fires and starts running. This was the same chartreuse SD and glow hammer set back 250 on #2. These 3 came at 270 fow and so fast, I couldn't reset rods between fish. It's nice to end up with all but 1 rod back in the boat.

I started a race track to run over the area again and was about 1/2 way back on the reciprocal when the other rigger fires. This was a green/silver/glow white pro troll chip pulling a hammer fly. 135/290. 15 minutes into my wife’s fight with a 10 # king, the thumper fires again and starts really screaming. The first run took 200 yards and only stopped when the reel locked on a buried wire. I thought that would be the end of the fish but it stopped and I gained some ground. It got pretty exciting with the 2 of us locked up as we were. My wife had her hands full with her 10# king and mine was a 45 minute tug of war. In the end, we got them both in the boat. My scale bounced between 33 and 34 pounds. We ran in and took it to the taxidermist where it was weighed at 32 strait up. This was a very chunky male.

The kings are here!

I got the pics developed: Here's the fish, it is 42 inches.

32kingtim81008sk3.th.jpg

Here's my first mate with the Dapper Dan behind us.

32kingconnietimdapperdahz8.th.jpg