Seneca Where to take kids fishing on Seneca.

Where to take kids fishing on Seneca.

I am new to Seneca lake just got a place and its my first summer on the lake.  My Grandson is coming to visit, 8 yrs old, and I want to take him fishing.  Does anyone have a suggestion on where to take him for some pan fish.   Or any other suggestions.  I have a boat but shore fishing would be great also.  He does not sit still for long and I want to get him hooked on fishing.           

Depending on where you are and how deep off your dock, could be good right there. Around 6 feet and deeper with some worms could catch some bluegills, small perch and rock bass that will thrill a youngster.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks Hop.  I am about 1 mile north of Sampson East side, I have about 5 feet of water at the end of the dock with grass about 4 feet further out.  I will give it a try this week, he is coming to town in 2 weeks. 

That should work. When my parents had a place at Peach Orchard, I used to throw a (light) anchor as far as I could into the weeds and pull it back. Make a channel 2,-3 feet wide. Fish will hang just inside there and wait to ambush smaller stuff. Worked pretty well

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I  and my kids when they were young used to catch big Bluegills/Pumpkinseeds, and some nice Perch and Rock Bass right off shore at sampson during the summer.. Right at the launch ramp lot there is a row of rocks and a long iron breakwater.. We used to fish a worm about 6 feet under a bobber, and always  caught nice size panfish and a bass now and then.. If you get some minnows, you might get a bass or pike/pickerel as well...bob

Lodi point on the north side with butter milk worms from Walmart. With a south wind you can cast the bobbers a distance and hit the weed lines for sun fish perch and small mouth. They were all sub legal last year but I caught a ton of them. Even got a few small LG mouth. Bring minnows and you might get a shot at some bigger perch. Seneca perch are usually light biters.

Sent from my VS425PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you're a mile north, you're in a good cove from what I have heard. If you do take the boat out, you shouldn't have to go far, but if you do head to sampson with the boat, the outside of that steel wall has plenty of fish. I see the guys fishing it with kids all the time catching...

Nick

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

50lbs of shelled field corn sprayed off the end of the dock.  A few days later Fish with worms and thawed frozen corn.  Should be exciting.  Don't leave any fishing poles unattended without the bail open and make sure the drag is set right.

• 1 month later...

Guys, Have to say many thanks.  Used several of the suggestions and it worked.  We were able to catch small pan fish right off my dock almost any time of the day.  The Grandkids loved it, they got so excited watching the bobber get pulled under.   They caught bluegills, rock bass and even a couple bullhead.        

Again many thanks, I think the grandkids are now hooked, both on fishing and the lake. 

Jim k.