MEAT

Need a little help from the group. Getting ready for my up coming trip. I have had great success fishing flys and spoons for Kings. But for some reason I suck at fishing meat. What is a good speed to run meat at with the big 11 inch flashers??

Do you have a probe? Its not just the flasher its also the herring if it aint spinning you aint catching. Ryhs davis heads require tuning at some point. John king heads are by far the easist to run i would suggest getting some atommik meat rigs with the john king heads and it will certainly shorten your learning curve. Speed can be all over ive caught fish at 1.5 mph down speed aswell as 3.5 downspeed and everywhere in between. Also dont think you have to run the big fish flashers with meat 8 and 10 inch spin drs work great aswell as 11 pro troll pro chips. Paddles without a fin dont work well mith meat for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You have to tweak the crap out of the Rhys Davis heads. Should get at least a roll per second on the surface. I have been incredibly impressed with the John king heads from atommik this year... they roll perfectly without tweaking. Are you running Twinkie rigs? If you aren't, you should be

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

9 hours ago, Jerryriggin 2 said:

Do you have a probe? Its not just the flasher its also the herring if it aint spinning you aint catching. Ryhs davis heads require tuning at some point. John king heads are by far the easist to run i would suggest getting some atommik meat rigs with the john king heads and it will certainly shorten your learning curve. Speed can be all over ive caught fish at 1.5 mph down speed aswell as 3.5 downspeed and everywhere in between. Also dont think you have to run the big fish flashers with meat 8 and 10 inch spin drs work great aswell as 11 pro troll pro chips. Paddles without a fin dont work well mith meat for me.

I have a fish Hawk. I just purchased a bunch of meat heads from atommik. I'm going to try those this year. I have run every type of flasher with meat last year and couldn't get one to go.

I run a 3 rigger program. Usually two flys and a clean spoon. Two dipsies and 2 coppers of the boards. Where do you usually put your meat in your program? I had run mine off of the deepest rigger and one of a dipsy. My down speed is usually 2.0 to 2.5

Deep riggers and wire divers is the place for meat. I fished out of bluffers park this weekend 90 on a rigger with the atommik stud meat rig and a 10" white slick glo was steady saturday and sunday. Saturday was a fly bite on the divers 110 to 120 back on 3. Sunday was a meat bite on the divers 150 back on 1.5 and 180 to 210 back on 3. Blister was good on a diver and also a rig i made with rapture teasers. I ran a few ryhs davis and dw heads with just a bite here and there. Most of my meat bites where on 10" spinnys this weekend. Fly bites where on 8 inch spinnys. Never had a bite on a protroll tbis weekend. Aslo down speed at bites was 2.4 to 3.1 on my fish hawk. Currents where crazy on sunday. My rigger at 90 was fishing 40 to 42 degree water.

17 hours ago, Jerryriggin 2 said:

I run 12 feet from diver to flasher and hand line the fish at the boat. 99% of the time i will run a flasher with the meat rig.

Can u run it with a 5 ft leader behind the dipsey then flasher then 5ft Twinkie rig?  I think I could handle this without having to hand line the fish in.  I don't know if the short leader will impede the action of spinny.

I don't have clear ones, mine are green or black and I usually run 8 ft leaders behind them to the flasher/fly.    I guess I could just run them with my normal leader but it would make netting a little bit of a hassle with my 9ft rods.  Thanks.

All great info guys! Thanks for the replies!! I will post my first fish on Meat. I'm not giving up until I get it figured out. I just purchased a bunch of Atommik meat rigs. :)  And I will try running them with 8 and 10 inch spin doctors.

• 3 weeks later...

We run  meat on just about every rod that we have on the boat.  deep rigger at least 1 wire dipsey and coppers are what we run just about every time we fish. The 450 copper and our torpedo steel line always have meat on them.  Early morning we will run meat up high but when the sun gets up we drop all the meat into the coldest water we can find.    10 and 13 inch whip tails with minion meat rigs behind them have done the work for us most of the year including our 2nd place finish at the Monroe county offshore classic a couple weeks ago.  Minion also is starting to supply 13 inch whip tail paddles. White with crush glow on one side and smooth glow on the other has been taking fish consistently with either a Minion purple uv meat rig behind it or a green flo bot rig behind it.   

I've been running #3 Hot Spot Rollerbaiters with meat for over 30 years. One thing about the Rollerbaiters is you don't have to worry about the correct rotation as they're equipped with a rudder which does the job. I always run the meat with a 11" flasher.