My bday!

Congrats to the fish, and have a happy birthday!! Not to change the subject but talked to a buddy that has a house on the ST. Lawrance River in Clayton, the collage kids or adults were doing a study on some sort of fish and they had a 54" Muskie in their net right of Marks property, he said it was huge!! He couldn't believe how big that fish was. He couldn't wait to tell me!!

If it was in May during spawning season this is what they were likely doing.

The Thousand Island Biological Station (TIBS), which is managed by Dr. John Farrell of SUNY ESF, has been collecting eggs and milt from spawning muskies in the spring in order to hatch the fry in the lab then return them to the nursery locations. Then they will check for young of the year (YOY) at those locations in the fall. Since the gobies have been predating on the eggs, there has been very poor recruitment of YOY in the known musky spawning sites. They are trying this to see if it will help. This is a very big concern which may affect the future of muskies in the SLR. It is great that we have Dr. Farrell and TIBS as well as the OMNR doing this and other important work in the SLR.

It is also possible that they may have been inserting a transmitter for a radio tagging study, but that would require quite a lot of equipment for the surgical procedure. The Niagara Musky Association just started a radio tagging study in the Upper Niagara River and Lake Erie this past spring with the help of the DEC. They implanted 10 transmitters in muskies and  installed several receivers in the area. This is part of a larger plan with the goal of identifying and improving viable natural spawning sites in the fishery in order to help support the self sustaining fishery for years to come. There are other receivers scattered throughout lake Erie and the river that were installed by other groups that will also help determine the movements of the fish. There is a similar network of receivers in Lake Ontario and the SLR.

Yea muskidreams Mark said it was in the spring, I happened to bump into him at a local gas station. Then he proceeds to tell me out this huge Muskie that was in the net of these college students!! So yeah your on target with the time!!