BIG Bullheads!

BIG Bullheads!

Went fishing for sunnies with my 4 YO grandson today.. He LOVES fishing with papa.. We were getting a few pumpkinseeds with worms, no great shakes.

At one point, I put a rod out with a little bottom rig, no bobber, hoping to get a perch or big bluegill for him..

I saw the rod tip dance, and like any good grandpa, handed it to him.. He was fast to a really good fish, and the little UL rod was doubled right over..
 It was a massive Bullhead, probably close to 16-17 inches and over 3 pounds.. He has no idea how to play a fish and was just reeling his little heart out at light speed, and the 4 lb test broke..
 Not long after I hooked another, that went 14 inches, and about 1 3/4 pounds..  This one I landed myself, and he got mad..
Then we hooked another and lost it.. Finally as we were about to leave at 3 pm,  I hooked one last one, and he insisted on reeling it up.. This time everything held, and I grabbed the rod as he got the fish near shore, , just  to be sure he didn't break it off..
 It was a 15 inch 2 1/4 pounder... No big deal really, but its  been a long time since I have seen bullheads this size, no less 4 of them, during mid day in  late June.

I have a feeling this very small  lake might have  super bullhead fishing under the right conditions.. I just wasn't expecting them when and where we were fishing.. I can't post  location here, too many lurkers.. PM  only... bob

Edited by bulletbob