First time out with the kayak

I've always wanted to catch a fresh summer salmon from the kayak. After finally upgrading to a larger and more stable kayak I decided to give it a go. I have no previous experience with trolling, especially on Lake Ontario. After a few weeks of reading and preparing, I finally made my first voyage out this weekend. 

I used a torpedo diver to get a spoon down to about 30-40ft in about 80ft of water. Luckily enough I actually managed to pick up a small chinook :)

3mPKkKE.jpg

I am still learning on how to track down fish but I am hopeful of catching something more sizeable next time. Any good advice will be welcome :) Cheers

Edited by pop.vlado

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a sit on fishing kayak for my little lakes (pond sized lol) couldn't imagine going out on the big lakes with it....good for you and nice catch.

Can I ask how are you trolling. I do a little by paddling but gets old. I do troll the rive a bit tho as the current carries me pretty good clip

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Here are some fish I managed to get since that first one. I've gotten into two larger chinooks so far (one around 15lb and the other closer to 20lb ). Lots of smaller chinooks and a few nice steelhead. I've managed to get into fish almost every time that I've been out. This stuff is addictive! I can't imagine going back to bass fishing next summer :) Cheers!

Q9JQ2mD.jpg

yZkAn1e.jpg

V6RGS4Z.jpg

WxjvmSZ.jpg

Edited by pop.vlado

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to try out the mouth of Bronte for some staging chinnies. I'm thinking first week of September on.

Any tips? I'm thinking of just launching my kayak at the beach and flat lining J13's and other crank baits just anywhere the day after a good rain. Apparently the fluorescent red (bright orange) and gold is a go-to. Maybe black/gold and black/silver as well?

I think just casting from your kayak glow spoons at night will work or cleos during the morning or evening hours. I find the J13's in the fire tiger work really good mid to late September for those salmon.

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I think just casting from your kayak glow spoons at night will work or cleos during the morning or evening hours. I find the J13's in the fire tiger work really good mid to late September for those salmon.

Adrian

Thanks man - can't wait to try it out

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Maybe I will see you out there Will, I will be out with my orange Colorado pontoon. Good luck if you go, water temps have dropped to 63 this morning, that means they will be in close these days as long as the surface temps stay in low 60's.

Adrian

Hope so! Likely won't be able to get out until this Saturday morning, which is not ideal considering the flow rate at Bronte right now (0.85 cms) and no rain in the forecast for almost a week. The cold nights are quite welcome though. Apparently the east tribs are loading up though. Too far for me to drive though! 

• 7 months later...