Cayuga Back from LA and heading to Cayuga for some silvers

Back from LA and heading to Cayuga for some silvers

Hopfully will be able to keep out of Lakerland for some silver action:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Suttontroller you were right on target with your comment about Laker land....I do think it is impossible. Despite our best efforts to avoid the lakers we caught 5 lakers and only one rainbow about three pounds. The bait was unreal and all the fish caught had "beer bellies" from chowing down on the bait. We only had the five hits  and caught all of them.They may have been feeding at night or very early in the AM.  One laker came off a white spinny wtih black dots and green fly but all the rest of the fish were on medium spoons off the downriggers set 40-50 ft down with sliders on each. We ran leadcores off boards with both spoons and sticks and never had a touch no matter how we set them up. Most of the fish and bait were marked at between 40 and 80 ft of water and a lot of what appeared to be lakers often right on bottom either near or under the bait. Once outside 100 ft of water we marked very little and no hits out there. We fished mostly the west side but did troll the east side in the afternoon ....nothing all across the lake to the east side and then the rainbow in 74 ft of water down about 35 on the slider with orange Evil Eye just north of Welles College. A lot of what appears to be lakers mostly on bottom in that 60-75 ft of water on the east side. Long day but had fun.

Edited by Sk8man

Forgot to mention found 72 degree surface water on east side  and 68 on the west side of Lake so soon it will be fleaville:)

Edited by Sk8man

Les,

I found the bait situation today (friday 6/30/17) in the exact same depths as you listed. Most of the bait was bottom oriented and in 40-80 ft of water. I could only find a few isolated suspended clouds of bait out over deep water. Those deep water bait clouds forced me to fish down 45-70 ft. Only small shakers were hitting out over the deep water. Could not find the Bows or bigger Salmon out deep (I fished the upper column too) and surprisingly no Lakers either.

ps. The bite turned on reasonably good fairly early, just no big fish. Then died out to nothing.

I think the silvers may be chowing down in the real shallow water Mark (less than 40?)  and/ or may be mixed in with the bait we were seeing. I think I'd be giving them a try  early in the AM close to shore with the boards etc. as in early Spring fishing to see whether that hunch is correct. We hardly marked anything out deep but they may also be scattered up toward the surface and out of range of the cone of the transducer. Often at this time of the year when big bug hatches are present on the surface the rainbows and landlockss and browns can be seen with their dorsals out of the water cruising the surface.  I did see one decent salmon jump in front of the boat and had a clear look at him when we were out.

We saw fish jumping while We were out Sunday as well out deep so this could be very possible only issue is those fish can be super finicky to target because as you said Les those fish are feeding on bugs. I know I've witnessed flat calm days this time of year when we were hammering fish in the thermocline but yet seeing schools of bait boil on the surface with fish chasing and jumping for them aswell as fish picking bugs off the surface. I feel like some days you'd be better off fishing them with a flyrod and dry flies

The flyrod concept works. We used to catch rainbows off the high Banks area in a couple hundred feet of water on Seneca that way at this time of year back in the day. Red Streamers worked too.