advice for cayuga for first time

Hi,

I posted previously and got some great advice. I'm heading up your way on Thurs. and just wanted to make sure I start off in the right area. I'll be driving from Oswego and it sounds like the best place to launch for salmon/trout would be Myers Point? Is this the best place for me to start my search? Should I troll north from this spot? Should I troll on this shoreline or head over to the western shoreline? How far is the power plant from Myers point? This is a big piece of water by my standards and I just want to maximize my time catching fish and not doing as much searching. Any last minute tips would be greatly appreciated.

Launch at myers, put the rods down and head north. Keep fishing till about 2 miles past the plant. Turn around and do it again.

Wire dipsys out 200 to 280 and shallow riggers 30 to 50 ft with cheaters. Work from 100 fow to 300 fow. Don't be afraid to fish the 250 to 300. The fish are there.

RR

Nope. Take a 24 to 36 inch length of 10 lb test, put a snap swivel on 1 end and just a snap on the other. Put a small spoon on the snap only side, put your rigger rod down but don't tighten it all the way. Take the snapswivel and attach it to the rigger rod line and toss it in the water. Tighten up the rod to the rigger ball. The spoon will travel to the bow in the line and stop. Works great. I don't like to stack rods. I run 3 riggers with cheaters on them all the time on cayuga. When you hook up, you have to reel like crazy to catch up tight to the line. Then fish on.

Plant is about 3 miles up. Actually you might want to run right up to the plant and work that area first. Start at the plant and go north to about Don's marina. Then work that area back and forth.

RR

Start at the point below the plant, not much going on around Myers as of last weekend. We started at Myers and went north the screen was pretty clear until we got just below the point with the green buoy. It was a

steady pick from there. Like Traveling Man said things change rapidly with all the fronts that we've had come thru.

Splitshot115

after fishing today, i would start about a mile and a half south of the power plant in 100 -130 fow. wire out 250 - 280 on a 2 setting and riggers down 30 -60-90. sliders will increase your catch too. trash can dodgers and green fly, silver dodger with green fly or LBB fly. Today was an early bite.

I ran into the felixjayce crew at Meyers on Fri am, sounds like they were having a typical complicated vacation. We were going jigging but pointed out some landmarks and gave some last minute dipsy advice. Lakers were very aggresive around AES, as usual for this area it was an early bite.Browns were active on W. side , in and around bait stacks.

Felix/Jayce, hope you had a good day on the lake. How close did the map on the GPS match up? If it was a good match which one is it? Anybody else got an opinion on the best map chip? I have a Lowrance 525, it does have a"high detail" Cayuga map, but it is pretty much useless(does not match sonar- sure does not show humps and shoals). It has nothing for Lake O.

Hi guys,

I just got back from my trip to NY and I can't thank eveyone enough for the advice you gave me. I had a friend who's had some tough luck health wise and his son with me and I felt added pressure to put them on fish. You guys definitely helped me do it and I'm grateful for that. We got blown off Lake Ontario so the Finger Lakes were our saving grace. We fished both Cayuga and Owasco twice and caught some nice fish.

Cayuga: Our biggest Lakers ran up to 7.5 lbs with the average being about 4 lbs. The atlantic salmon were cooperating as well but most were on the small side(14-17"). The 2 biggest were 2.8 lbs and one beauty at 4.4 lbs. We managed 2 rainbows 2.5 lbs and 3.4 lbs. The salmon and rainbows put on quite an aerial display! I couldn't find the browns. I fished 2-3 miles north and south of the plant and I would say that the lakers were biting the best anywhere from 30- 85' down.

Owasco:

Caught some nice lakers but they were smaller. Average was 3lbs and biggest was just under 5lbs. Caught a nice rainbow around 3.7 lbs and probably the nicest fish was a 6.6 lb walleye caught at 4:30 pm! No browns here as well.

Chowdahead:

I have a 2007 Navionics Platinum chip. Cayuga and Owasco were not in platinum detail but that doesn't mean it's not now. Call Navionics to check it out for their 2008/2009 chips. With that said I still got very precise depth contours from both lakes that were spot on. They just weren't the 1 foot contours that the platinum detail gives. I was able to straddle the dropoffs and stay out of trouble. I run a Humminbird 997 SI with this chip. If you can get a Navionics Platinum chip for Cayuga I highly recommend it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Not sure if it's compatible with Lowrance or not. Once again, get in touch with Navionics to see what they have to offer. Thanks again and it was nice talking to you at the launch.

Once again I can't thank you guys enough for all your help and advice. Getting blown off Lake O. was depressing and you guys definitely helped turn that into a rewarding trip. Take Care and good luck! You guys have an awesome fishery!