My week on Cayuga

stoneam2006

Sat no fishing on boat bunch of gills and nice bass of dock.

Sunday....530 am I picked up bandrus at long point for our morning of fishing. Had a great time. He helped me get settings on fish finder tuned in. Also taught me about the fixed cheaters he uses. Some knots and information about random tips and techniques. Was great to meet up with a fellow LOU member and get out on water. Fished from power plant south a ways and back not much going on marked a ton tho. Water had a ton of garbage in it. Overall the first awesome fishing day so far.

I am going to keep a journal of my weeks stay here as I have a few more LOU guys who I plan on fishing with and meeting. As well as fishing with family. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Thank you bandrus for sharing some knowledge I really appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nice to read your report.  The storms over the past couple of days brought a lot of floating logs out into the lake, not to mention, like you said, some garbage floating likely from careless folks partying out there.   I fished Saturday evening for just a couple of hours without any strikes. Too much boat traffic I thought. Went back out 545am today for a few hours, started very slow first couple hrs. without any strikes in the areas I've been doing very well in over the past couple of weeks, Then headed north near the boy scout camp and landed 5 LLs, two biggest were 4.2 pounds and 4 pounds, 2 others in the 2 pound range, and one dink.  The high water and all the holiday boat traffic definitely moved the fish around and I didn't run into any fish besides salmon today. Good luck out there the next few days! 

Had a great time with Aaron. Was very frustrated to only take 1 strike and 1 fish... I wad a bit perplexed as we marked a lot of fish right in our spread.... I can say it was my slowest day on the lake in years... water color turned to mud and there was so much deal on top it was very difficult running long lines..

I learned about Chamberlain releases and think I will trade my blacks on Cayuga in for them as I can see they will fire with dinks. Over all a very fun day but a lot of work keeping spread clean.

Thanks Aaron and have a fun rest of the week

Absolutely great day on the water went 8 for 14 with some other strikes without fish. Gambler rigs took all but the big one that came on the yellow spoon on 10 color lead core. Gamblers were the green one and the pink spot ones with matching cowbell. Took 1 hit on dipsy with fly. 90 foot was the mark today on west shore. All were released except 2 that wouldn't make it after trying real hard so we fillet them out and buddy who eats them is going to cook them up. Pretty stoked....o and got my first double hook up too!!! O and cool bird with nice fish.FB_IMG_1499090798841.jpgFB_IMG_1499090789150.jpgFB_IMG_1499090784696.jpgFB_IMG_1499090764295.jpg20170703_094509.jpgFB_IMG_1499090812009.jpg

Great to hear your getting a grip on this fishing sport!! Amazing how time flies when your catching fish!! Just be careful this is a very addictive sport!! I haven't found a cure for it yet?? Other than buying more equipment  :lol:. Best of luck throughout the season. One other thing, if you think the winters were long before, ha ha wait till this yearLOL. Great to see ya do well and enjoying life!! Keep up the good work. PAP.

Well here it is for Tuesday.

5am (Johnson58) mark picked me up at my dock. We decided to chase silver fish. What a awesome day we caught 10 plus and lost more landed a couple rainbow and salmon. Only 2 Lakers today as we didn't target them. Learned all sorts of new tips on my dipsy gear and also pulling lead behind boards and sliding cheaters also Learned about Sutton spoons speeds and fishing the middle of the lake running electrics and a different style of setting releases. This trip landed me my first rainbow and salmon out of lake absolutely stoked about that. These silver fish fight great and even had a small hit hard enough to pull planner board under water. Not to many pics today as was getting warm and wanted to get fish released fast. Mark also sent me away with some personal gear to help me target silver fish. I can't thank him enough and say enough good things about him. If you ever have the chance to meet him take it. Again mark thank you for the great time out this morning hope to do it again someday.20170704_061350.jpg20170704_103153.jpg20170704_081712.jpg

Wensday....convinced the wife and kids to go out at 5am this am. Wouldn't you know first fish wasn't till 8am lmao. First fish came on 10 color purple and black spoon as I read in another thread. And then the gambler rigs took over with 1 on a Sutton silver 44 on rigger also. Put 6 or so on deck with half gear running up high hoping to catch some silver too. All Lakers today. After 8am it turned on and we were catching them all the way back to dock pretty consistently. Lost a few too. 20170705_083036.jpg20170705_083045.jpg20170705_092542.jpg20170705_094031.jpg2017070595094807.jpg

Well here it is Thursday the week is going by to fast. This morning I went out with Red (Magil270) he picked me up at the dock in his rig and off we went at right around 530. We went for silvers today too had a awesome trip. Caught a laker brown and a bunch of little salmon (couldn't get lucky with a bow too) did loose a nice fish back aways never got a look. Learned about stacking rods on riggers and saw some very different out of the box stuff that caught fish. Ran some gear ways I had not done or seen too. Red is a great guy and I had an absolute blast. This was also Reds first brown outta this lake so we both were super pumped. Another guy that if your givin the chance to get out with him take it. Here's some pics. IMG955123.jpgIMG955120.jpg20170706_105415.jpg

Glad I could teach you the very little that I learned over the course of 2 years. Remember, I told, I really don't know what I am doing. Lol. Had a great time and also was able to learned a bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well here is Friday a slow day. Me and Red (magill270) went out together again this am with him taking me down to t falls as I've never been that far south. We got held up by a storm between us and there for a few min. Lost a real nice fish right in front of park at the back of boat. Other than that had a real slow day down there. On the plus side we ran some different gear that neither of us had ran much and got to play with the navionics phone app. In my opinion it is worth the 10 bucks hands down the contour lines are real accurate and even with the small screen you can pick your course on the screen pretty easily it marks your paths thru the day and shows you a projected course line allowing you to run the edges real nicely. I just bought it with the intention on running it on a cheap Wal-Mart tablet for the bigger screen. All and all an awesome week. Good luck to the guys fishing the tourney this weekend.

Special thanks to you guys who took the time to get together and teach me what you could I am very greatful. This is what it's about. Hopefully we can cross paths again sometime and maybe even get out and fish again. Again thank you

All and all a great week of fishing on Cayuga and tomorrow will be my last trip out for the week at least and can't wait to be back or even get to another of the fingers.

Saturday....what a day lol....so got up at 5 waited out the rain left the dock at 630 picked dad up at deans cove as we had to pull my boat out at 11 to check out of cottage. We went out of deans motored down to before the bluffs by sheldrake. Went after Lakers today on both riggers hoping to but dad on some fish with the rest of gear up higher. Rigged both riggers with gambler rigs and went to town on Lakers landed 4 in just about a hr including 1 nice one. Well right after the 4th fish we were going to swing deep and circle back up the west coast to head back figured that put us right on time. Got out into the middle and all of a sudden motor quit driving. Motor runs fine just no drive won't go into gear forward or reverse just revs up. So after some messing around and pulling lines I called for help. Johnson58 motors up to tow me to deans. I owe you big time mark. I appreciate it more than you know.

So after the week on Cayuga I learned a lot from Mark Ben and Red. I can't thank them enough for taking me out and showing me the ropes on fishing for trout and salmon really I got a he'll of an education from all 3 of you. Hopefully someday I can pass it along to someone in need. It was fun with some awesome fish taken. Glad I could share it with all you here hopefully I get to meet some more of you guys.

Pulled in driveway and found this...thought it was shaking a little bit...tractor trailer tire exploded right in front of us wonder if I caught a piece of the wire from tire. No pic of the good one from today was literally right as boat died20170708_151050.jpg20170708_072452.jpg