St Lawrence River Walleye

Will be making my annual trip to Wellesley Island in mid July. Anybody have any info on walleye fishing close to Wellsley? Have made the long run to Carleton Island before and have caught a couple there but it is a long boat ride especially in the dark. Any info on areas to try closer to Wellesley would be appreciated.

sorry, can't be of help ... I've fished that area of the river for 35+ years (always shallow water for for bass & pike), and NEVER caught a single walleye (even by accident).    I even caught a muskie by accident on a spinnerbait once.    If I didn't see pics and hear there were walleye's in the SLR, I wouldn't believe it - LOL

Way to go Big John, like anything in life if there's a will there's a way, give it your all and you will prevail!! There are others on the river that are very successful!! and you can be also, I do know they are night fishermen or before light till 7-8 am. So knowing your surroundings is a must!! Good luck to your new quest.!!

Fish are around, but compared to the last  couple of years, they're pretty damn stubborn. Fished from 4:30 to 8:30 this morning and moved around a lot to find fish that would hit. Took over an hour and a half on 6 different spots to connect. Then it was all about swapping out lures to finally land on what they would hit today.

Fleas suck. Surface weeds suck. Rain sucks. Current sucks. Had to hook 6 fish to land 3. If I had a chance to do it over and sleep in, would I? NO WAY

2017-07-14 08.52.34.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got back from T-islands on Sunday, fished Eel Bay for a couple days and caught enough good perch for a fish fry for our group of 8. Also caught a few Northern, Smallies and Large Mouth. Considered heading to Carleton to try for some eyes but figured we would try Lake of the Isles first  for some bass.Caught about a dozen and then started picking up some nice crappie just as the sun was setting, about an hour and 15 minutes later we had 30 slabs in the livewell. I absolutely love crappie fishing and spent the remainder of my evenings chasing them and never even tried for walleye. Roughrider IV, any luck on the walleye for you?

Got back from T-islands on Sunday, fished Eel Bay for a couple days and caught enough good perch for a fish fry for our group of 8. Also caught a few Northern, Smallies and Large Mouth. Considered heading to Carleton to try for some eyes but figured we would try Lake of the Isles first  for some bass.Caught about a dozen and then started picking up some nice crappie just as the sun was setting, about an hour and 15 minutes later we had 30 slabs in the livewell. I absolutely love crappie fishing and spent the remainder of my evenings chasing them and never even tried for walleye. Roughrider IV, any luck on the walleye for you?

With the high water level how was it in eel bay ? I'll be up there in a few weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

prayingmantis, water is a couple of feet higher than normal but it didn't seem to affect the fishing for us, if anything it seemed that more fish were holding in the normally shallower areas. We caught some big smallies (4-5 lbers) in fairly shallow water for this time of year, 10-12 ft, which isn't normally the case.

prayingmantis, water is a couple of feet higher than normal but it didn't seem to affect the fishing for us, if anything it seemed that more fish were holding in the normally shallower areas. We caught some big smallies (4-5 lbers) in fairly shallow water for this time of year, 10-12 ft, which isn't normally the case.

Ok thanks. I know it's usually around 8' or 9'. Sounds like the water level has helped the fishing up there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was out fishing for bass at the west end of Piction on Tuesday early evening and got  a nice surprise, 31" walleye.  fishing right off the point in 25' of water.  Got it on a drop shot with a worm.  Took a few pictures and released it. 

IMG_1267.thumb.JPG.936688d6e3faf0985f8bdad3cf2cdfdc.JPG

IMG_1268.thumb.JPG.6f63040090ae206f8411ea7455674d25.JPG

Fishlover, as prayingmantis said, we cast mepps for northern or use a jig and pig in deeper water. For bass we cast 3" shad colored twisters on a 1/4 oz jig head, either of the setups catch both bass and northern. Our best areas this year were on the Grindstone Island side of Eel bay and around Canoe Point down to and around Delaney Bay

23 hours ago, Mr. Crowley said:

Fishlover, as prayingmantis said, we cast mepps for northern or use a jig and pig in deeper water. For bass we cast 3" shad colored twisters on a 1/4 oz jig head, either of the setups catch both bass and northern. Our best areas this year were on the Grindstone Island side of Eel bay and around Canoe Point down to and around Delaney Bay

Thanks, do you use metal or mono leaders or would they spook the pike, bass too much?

Edited by fishlover