• 3 weeks later...

On a more positive note, full moon of sept was wonderful fishing. Very little boat traffic and eyes were feeding. Weather could not have been more beautiful. Slime on the gunwales, a few laughs, and another memorable evening on the SLR.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I cleaned a couple walleye from my trip the other night.....Both fish were healthy looking. They exhibited what appeared to be decent fat reserves. What kind of surprised me is that both fish had completely empty stomachs. I have caught lots of eyes with an empty tank but quite often they are stuffed on a full moon. So to catch two with no stomach contents just made me curious.... Does anyone know how quickly eyes digest/metabolize food? Is there any info on how long they may go between feeding? Is there a reason they feed so selectively with so much forage available?Appreciate any thoughts or insight. Thanks and tight lines.

Hi Esox AC3, I was puzzled by the same empty stomach observation this summer. An SLR eye, 2 big smallie and a 10 pound northern (finger lakes) all had completely empty digestive tracts. All healthy fish. I think they can go quite a long time without eating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Interesting others are seeing more empty bellies as well. Last year more fish seemed to packed with gobies. This continues to be an interesting year. I certainly wasnt cut out to be a walleye or a northern.... I can barely go 4 hours without eating! Lol

Got out last night on the river to catch a one man limit. Really had to work for it and covered some water. Current was ripping near the bridge.... I havent fished down that way much this season so it was really something to experience. Makes boat control that much more challenging. Surprised how much boat traffic there was early in the evening....After 830pm not a boat to be seen. water was flat calm and weather was beautiful. Perfect early fall evening. Fish were 19"-28". 19" is one of the smaller river eyes I have ever landed. Nice to see size diversity. Tight lines.