I hopped aboard Dublin Up for a little derby fishing Sunday morning. We headed west out of the pier heads. And set up in 140' right on top of fish. The morning bite was good, landing 3 quick salmon but nothing that would get us near the LOC board. The screen was great a couple miles west of port and we kept working our marks picking away at fish throughout the morning. Ended up 8 for 10 with some skippers also mixed in. Eventually we went to all meat or flashers to keep the juveniles off the hook. Meat was the best producer on 130' diver early then 240' later. 300 copper and 10 colors also produced fish. Got a double on a rigger with both the main line and slider hooking juveniles before we switched out the spoons. Biggest King was 17 lbs. ran the white double crush spin doctor with stud fly but it was silent. Still haven't caught anything on it. No fly bites today at all.IMG_1499066316.718317.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Nice day to fish and the stud seems to be fizzling out. We ran it for a while and changed it out for the stud meat rig and then started producing fish but no big boys. 

Nice day to fish and the stud seems to be fizzling out. We ran it for a while and changed it out for the stud meat rig and then started producing fish but no big boys. 

I have another buddy who hasn't caught a fish on it as well. Yesterday another charter boat captain I know was fishing next to us and he was killing it with the white double crush/ stud fly anywhere from 500 copper to 80' rigger, and on his divers.

We have been doing pretty good on it out of Olcott out in front of the Barn, I just think as the bait moves out they are gonna transition into other colors. Our spoon program is finally coming around cause hadn't caught a single king on a spoon yet well outside of skippers. I don't run any double crush blades either. I know they have been the hype with the stud but I have been running them behind the glow green dot and the uv green dot 13" boards and we have had steady picks, now this week we were fishing east out of Rochester and it was a hit and miss deal. One day they wanted it the next they took purple flies and the stud meat. Right now that's all I am running is meat on 3 out of 5 rod setup. Other 2 are Flasher/Fly off riggers. Anything UV with green has been steady for us. I will attach a pic of our program we start with out of Olcott and it produced every time. 

IMG_0320.JPG

I would love to hear how you guys are running your meat termination. I have been running a free swinging treble and my hook up ratio stinks. Pin the hook in the flesh or free swing?  

44 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

I would love to hear how you guys are running your meat termination. I have been running a free swinging treble and my hook up ratio stinks. Pin the hook in the flesh or free swing?  

Free swing always on my boat, I bring the hook so the bend is even with the end of the meat and send it on it's way, haven't missed one yet on it. Knock on wood

I won't say no to that Kduncan- Thank you. I haven't been on the water in a month. I'm hoping to take my niece for her first trip ever on Lake O. Finally one of my brothers kids following in our family's roots! I was staring to get worried[emoji1][emoji120]Thank you

I use to hook it. And my hook up ratio sucked so I started free swing it and started a little better went 5 for 5 on teenage kings the other day all meat then 3 for 3 yesterday all meat my last 25 hook ups 20 been meat then today from 630-8 I lost count of hits we had doubles tripples and a quad the big guy we landed on meat was hooked on the out side of the mouth and kinda far back almost center of the gill plate...i think it's all in how the fish hit and takes a little longer cause u got a 5-6ft lead so that much more slack from the big paddle some days meats hurried in the corner of the mouth and u can't lose em others foul hooks or short like strikes and come in buttoned easy

Sent from my SM-G928V using Lake Ontario United mobile app