cannon downrigger

cannon downrigger

I have 3 cannon riggers last year was my first year running them and I purchased them new. On all 3 where the rod holder screws in cracked. On one almost lost a rod when the holder fell down. I got them all fixed over the off season and figured I had been cranking them down to tight so ok my bad. This season I have been careful not to over tighten them. Yesterday while fishing the center rigger rod falls down as the rod holder collapsed first thought was monster fish. Nope dam thing cracked again!! Upon checking the other 2 riggers I found small hairline crack in them. Mother@$^@$!!! I can't be the only one experiencing this. Makes me want new riggers. 

I've had a double holder on the boom crack and break off last week.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

cannon downrigger I have 3 cannon riggers last year was my first year running them and I purchased them new. On all 3 where the rod holder screws in cracked. On one almost lost a rod when the holder fell down. I got them all fixed over the off season and figured I had been cranking them down to tight so ok my bad. This season I have been careful not to over tighten them. Yesterday while fishing the center rigger rod falls down as the rod holder collapsed first thought was monster fish. Nope dam thing cracked again!! Upon checking the other 2 riggers I found small hairline crack in them. Mother@$^@$!!! I can't be the only one experiencing this. Makes me want new riggers. 

Are these riggers with the telescoping booms?

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 hours ago, 92xerNY said:

Wont Cannon warranty that??

The body of the downrigger is guaranteed forever. So they pay to have it fixed. Problem is am I going to have to do this every season. It is unacceptable. For the price of downriggers I should not have to take them to get fixed every season.

Think you're still overtightening. They should only need to be snug. That's a lot of tooth area to hold the rod. All that knob does is to hold the teeth of the base and rod holder in engagement with each other. It's not like the spool clutch knob that has to be tight to keep from slipping under the rigger weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I think John is exactly right with his assessment. My 10A's are over 30 years old with moderate use and  I have never had a structural problem with them. Any plastic based  product can crack when over tightened by metal screws.and when UV exposed it may happen faster....

That won't be an issue when the body cracks at the base and it falls overboard... I know of 3 STX riggers on my dock that have broke off, one caught by the cord, one by the rod in the holder, and the other is in 140 off 4 mile point I think. I would start using a separate holder for your rod.

Check the emblem on top, WHEN it cracks and the rigger fills with water, they won't warranty it because it isn't covered with their soft cover. At least that was their response to a boat on my dock a week or so ago.

I currently run 4 HS and 1 STX. The next riggers I buy will be Scotty's.

Good luck!

Andy

That won't be an issue when the body cracks at the base and it falls overboard... I know of 3 STX riggers on my dock that have broke off, one caught by the cord, one by the rod in the holder, and the other is in 140 off 4 mile point I think. I would start using a separate holder for your rod.

Check the emblem on top, WHEN it cracks and the rigger fills with water, they won't warranty it because it isn't covered with their soft cover. At least that was their response to a boat on my dock a week or so ago.

I currently run 4 HS and 1 STX. The next riggers I buy will be Scotty's.

Good luck!

Andy

Ever hear of a big jon base cracking? Lol

SammyDog