Texan needs help

jack iv

Texan needs help

HELP PLEASE!!!

My wife and I are driving to lake Ontario on 7-10 to fish for small mouth in the Henderson bay area. I obviously have no Idea where to start.  

Would any of you be willing to give me some general ideas on where to start, what depth, techniques, lures etc. that may get me bit.

Thanks 

Tex - You may want to stop off at Henchens Marina in the harbor to get the latest info. The first thing you will ask is why do I have to wear rubber boots to go in the store? That's because Lake Ontario is currently several feet above it's normal level causing massive flooding along the shoreline. Assuming you're fishing from a boat, keep an eye on the wind. It can be your best friend or your worst enemy. When it's dead calm, fishing can be tough because the fish can see the boat due to the water clarity which is extreme due to the zebra mussells. Using lighter line, smaller lures and longer casts can help. On the flip side, if there's too much wind you may not be able to get out. We've caught bass throughout the bay area in various depths but generally drifting with the wind at 7-10' has been pretty good for us. We do well with small tubes, Senko's, Stick-O's on clear calm days and spinner-baits on cloudy windy days. There are also some big Pike and Pickeral in the area so don't be surprised if you bit off a few times. Good Luck!  

Thanks maddog. I am really looking forward to getting up there and fishing the world class small mouth waters. I envy you for living there and having the opportunity to chase them regularly. We have them here but, not in the numbers or size that you do there.

I have a bunch of 3" tubes in various colors with 1/8 and 1/4 ounce heads. I've heard that the drop shot and shaky head are effective there as well. I am assuming that due to the water clarity, natural colors like watermelon red, green pumpkin and smoke would do well but, i'm not sure.

Thanks for the heads up on the wind. I have heard that the lake can be pretty nasty when it blows hard. Again I would assume that under normal conditions that windblown points should hold fish. What is the prevailing wind direction this time of year? Knowing that may help me find some stuff on google earth.

Thanks again for your help maddog.

Jack 

l

I think you're on the right track. Green Pumpkin and Smoke are both effective. For tubes we go small - 2 1/2 with 3/16 head and 6 or 8 lb fluorocarbon. The smaller tube, light line and a little heavier head allow the lure to get further away from the boat(very clear water). I'm from PA and usually get up there a few times a year when bass season opens in June. It's well worth the 4 hour trip if you want to catch big smallmouth. We've had winds from all different directions but something out of the west seems to be the most common. If you launch in Henderson Harbor, I would go just past Henchens and start at the point going all the way down to Westcott. They were there a few weeks ago anyway. If they're not there, you may want to try around the islands - Association, Gull, Bass. They generally move out of the bay come August.

Thanks maddog. I will get some lighter line. I was going to bring 8 and 10. I can pick up some 6 though. I will be out of my comfort zone with 6. I fish 8 quite a bit in open water but most of our stuff here is 12-20 lb fishing pretty heavy cover. 

I am really pumped about getting up there. 

Thanks again for all of your help.

Jack

• 4 weeks later...