Big boys comin'

Big boys comin'

Like clockwork around the fourth of July every year, the SW or Westerlies push the Niagara flow faster causing the North shore to roll cold from the push-pull.  The conveyor belt effect pulls the big boys off the bottom and dumps them on the North shore of Canada.  The cold water and presence of bait is an enticing concoction that allows for even small boats to reach big fish.  Here is the latest in the Ontario Derby- some well known names on the board.

Interesting you mention this. As i compare the Great Ontario Derby this year to the LOC the salmon are all between 28lb and 35lbs compared to a max of 27lbs for the LOC. Wonder if it is just a matter of more participants in the Ontario Derby or that the big boys truly do go North. Lots of 30+ in the Ontario Derby which is encouraging. I haven't heard of any certified 30+ on the south shore at all this year yet. 

The information that the Canadians have been gathering on salmon migration around the lake, using telemetering equipment, says that the fish could basically be on one side of the Lake on Monday and the other end on Tuesday.  Are you suggesting that Canadian fish stay in Canada and NY fish stay in New York?

8 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

The information that the Canadians have been gathering on salmon migration around the lake, using telemetering equipment, says that the fish could basically be on one side of the Lake on Monday and the other end on Tuesday.  Are you suggesting that Canadian fish stay in Canada and NY fish stay in New York?

I didn't know they were using telemetry...are there any papers available or do you have more info?  Telemetry studies are fascinating.  The Lake Huron and MI studies really showed how deep these kings live and how quickly they can move from surface to bottom even in waters over 400' deep.

Both New York and Canada tagged fish for pen project studies, and they found that the lake is a big melting pot of Kings during the spring and summer......fish caught at one port are from stockings all over the lake including Canadian fish. 

2 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

Look at report 9.2 on Page 176.  Andy Todd had some very interesting slides of this at the SOL meetings last spring, as well.  SUNY Brockport did some work on this, way back, as well, for migration around the Lake.

http://www.glfc.org/loc_mgmt_unit/LOA 17.01.pdf

Thanks!  Great info and the chart you pointed out is fascinating.  One of those two kings is running 150' to 250' deep every day, coming up to 50-60' at night.  I got a dollar that says "large mature fish".  The other fluctuates in the 40-80' depths depending on time of day.  Sub adult.  Thanks again I love fisheries biology and the telemetry studies are truly eye opening.