Great day for celebration off Hughes today

Great day for celebration off Hughes today

Yesterday I convinced Les (Sk8man) that he should go to the big pond with me today. He showed up at the house around 5AM and we launched around 6AM. The lake was perfect with a gentle NW breeze - never saw any flies. As per normal for us the bickering started with how much water to start in and who gets which side of the boat, well I picked 150' and he picked port side. With that settled we got things ready and fired up the kicker and pointed it north and hit the auto pilot. We marked a fish at 75' so I started with a rigger at 80' and I picked an ugly NK28 I've never tried before, put a mixed vegetable spinny with a  green fly out 200' on a big dipsy on 2 1/2 and added a 10 color leadcore off a Church board, was getting ready to throw a cheater on the rigger when it fired - first fish of the season from Lake O and its a little king. As the morning wore on that ugly spoon got one hell of a workout. I couldn't buy a hit on the flasher fly, I found a second ugly spoon in my box and put that with a silver dodger behind the dipsy and ran it out 250. I will let Les try to recount how many fish and hits we think we got, I spent an hour untangling my leadcore after one of a double of kings decided to swim into it - we must have had a half dozen hits and 3 or 4 fish landed while I had a  birds nest on the floor and 15 - 30 yards trailing in the water behind us. We had 3 explosive hits on our dipsy's, Les lost 2 spindoctors, one with one of his homemade flies and one with meat and I lost one of the ugly spoons. I finally hooked and landed a 17# king after a 10 minute battle. We had a bunch of steelies on, one that jumped 3' out of the water 50' behind the boat. We got them on both cheaters and rigs. Our best depth was 200' - 250' and we ran riggers around 100'. The best day I've had on Lake O in a long long time.

Congrats guys, glad to hear Les got away from those penned in fish and hit the big water:lol:!! Thanks for the first exciting post of my day, now I got the itch!! But I have to wait till we get back from our cruise vacation. Gotta keep the wife happy or us guys that have some time under our belts know how that can be:smoke: anyway great post, trip, with many more to come guys!!!

Bob summed it up real well althogh he did leave out a few little details being the humble guy that he is:lol:. We did have a hell of a day and especially him...he smoked me on the kings. We caught 7 kings and 6 steelies that actually got into the boat. We each lost 2 nice steelies and the first one I caught after his 2 king skippys jumped 6 times behind the boat and was still flopping pretty good when he was netted. One of the steelies lost was a big fella from the looks of it when he jumped and spit the hook....gave us a good look anyway. Each fish was really agressive and the 3 fish that hit the wire rigs and cost us equipment were savages and bent the rods over while stripping line like there was no tomorrow....classic king stuff...We released everything but the 17 lb king that had fought his heart out and was totally spent. When I left in the early AM I had grabbed one of my point and shoot cameras not realizing that it was one with the battery almost depleted so although we took pics they didn't actually register on the memory card for the most part but a couple shots came out. Hopefully Bob has some pics on his phone. We marked very little bait and considering the action we had not all that many fish for the most part. The fleas are active and the wires were particularly prone to them. Currents were variable direction and very strong. For the first time they accrued on my 30 lb Sea Flee rods as well so they must be quite thick down there. I must add that although Bob isn't particularly known for having long patience while fishing (especially with perch fishing:lol:) he displayed the patience of Jobe while spending about an hour untangling one of the worst leadcore messes I've seen on his line (to save money of course:lol:) - a situation I would have remedied in about a millisecond with my knife:) I had a great time despite having to suffer the agony of watching Bob reeling in kings while he tricked me into locating on the wrong side of the boat.....

bobatwork.jpg

bob1.jpg

bob2.jpg

fish.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Some Bob camera pics. The steelies loved the orange Revolution spoon

bob17lb.jpg

lessteelie.jpg

bobsmagicspoon.jpg

Edited by Sk8man